Memorial Scholarship for Autism
Congratulations to this year's winner!
We will begin accepting applications for next year's scholarship in spring of 2018
All of us at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. were touched by the story of 14 year-old Avonte Oquendo, an autistic boy who went missing after he wandered away from school in 2013. The outpouring of support and assistance that accompanied the search for Avonte was unprecedented. Although Avonte tragically did not make it home alive, we want to show the same support for the autistic community in memory of this extraordinary young man. That is why The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is offering a $1,000 scholarship for a student living with autism, or whose loved one is living with autism.
How to Apply for the Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship
As attorneys, we believe that education is not only a tool for personal development, but also the means by which individuals can better their own lives and ultimately shape and improve their communities. We know that earning a post-secondary degree can be the difference between a strong, successful career and a lifetime of hardship. We want that opportunity to be open to all students equally, especially those who have autism and often face obstacles that other students do not.
The Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship is open to high-achieving students who meet two key criteria:
- Either you or a close family member has been diagnosed with a form of autism, including Asperger syndrome, and
- The applicant is currently enrolled or has been accepted into an accredited university or college, either at the undergraduate or post-graduate level.
Additionally, applicants should submit an essay on one of the topics listed below with a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 1,000 words.
Our hope is that this scholarship will help offset the financial burden of attending school for a deserving student who is facing unique challenges because of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). We hope that all eligible students will apply, and look forward to bestowing this grant.
July 31st 2017 by 11:59 EST – Fall 2017 semester
- Tell us about a time that you have had to overcome an obstacle as a person with autism that other people would not have had to face.
- Explain how your loved one’s autism has affected you and how you have adapted to help them.
- Answer this question: What do you feel is the biggest obstacle holding back people with autism today?
- Applicant must be an enrolled undergraduate student at an accredited college or university, or be accepted to begin school as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university for the Fall 2017 semester.
- Applicant must submit their most recent official or unofficial transcript (i.e. high school, college, or post-graduate)
How to Apply:
To apply for the Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship for Autism, please complete the form below and upload the following items in a .pdf or .doc file.
- An essay: minimum 500 words and maximum 1,000 words, on one of the three topics listed above.
- An official academic transcript.
By sending in your application, you signify that you have read and are in agreement with our Terms & Conditions.