Knee Injury at Work Lawyer
The knees are among the most critical joints in the body. They allow us to perform such crucial actions as standing up, sitting down, walking, and lifting heavy objects.
When you suffer a knee injury on the job in New York City, the resulting pain and limited mobility can easily hinder your ability to perform your work duties. In fact, knee injuries are the second most frequent cause of missed days at work.
If a work-related knee injury has affected your life and livelihood, you may have a right to claim compensation. The experienced New York knee injury attorneys at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., have the experience and resources to fight aggressively for your right to maximum compensation.
Call us today or contact us online for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
What You Need to Do if You Hurt Your Knee at Work in NYC
If you suffer a knee injury while working in New York City, you can take certain steps to protect your health and your claim, such as:
- Report the injury to your employer immediately.
- Seek medical attention right away and follow all doctor’s treatment instructions.
- Document the accident thoroughly and take photos if possible.
- Speak with our experienced NYC workplace injury attorneys as soon as possible.
Taking quick action allows you to get the treatment you need to heal. It can also build evidence for your claim and ensure you optimize your chances of receiving the compensation you need.
Most Common Types of Knee Injuries Workers Suffer in NYC
The knee is a complex joint with several vulnerable components. Knee injuries at work in NYC can involve damage to bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and soft tissues.
Some of the most frequent knee injuries include:
- Sprains and strains from twisting or overextending the joint
- Tears to ligaments like the ACL and MCL
- Meniscus tears damaging the cartilage
- Patellar dislocation where the kneecap shifts out of place
- Fractures and broken bones around the knee
- Tendonitis inflammation and degeneration
Many of these injuries can require intensive surgical procedures, intensive pain management regimens, and protracted recovery periods. The resulting medical expenses can become a significant financial burden unless you receive the necessary compensation.
Common Jobs That Cause Knee Injuries
Strenuous jobs that require extensive physical activity, such as bending, lifting, climbing, and kneeling, put the most strain on the knees. Some of the occupations in NYC most prone to knee injuries are:
- Construction workers
- Warehouse workers
- Delivery drivers
- Janitors and custodians
- Manufacturing workers
However, suffering a knee injury while working is possible for people in any profession. Similarly, these injuries can affect any employee’s ability to work. Whatever your job, our experienced NYC knee injury attorneys are ready to fight for the benefits or compensation you need.
What Is the Difference Between Workers’ Compensation and a Third-Party Lawsuit?
Workers’ compensation provides medical and wage benefits for job injuries regardless of fault. A third-party lawsuit seeks compensation from negligent parties that caused the accident that injured the victim.
While workers’ comp covers medical treatment, partial lost wages, and some vocational rehabilitation, third-party lawsuits can recover compensation for pain and suffering, total lost income, and permanent disability exceeding what workers’ comp can offer.
Lawsuits are also needed to hold third parties liable under NY labor laws like Section 240, which requires proper safety devices for elevation risks. Other laws like Section 241 (compliance with codes) and Section 200 (safe working conditions) may also apply. Our attorneys are very familiar with these laws, and we can analyze whether a labor law violation contributed to your workplace knee injury.
Can I Have Both a Workers’ Compensation Claim and a Personal Injury Claim for the Same Knee Injury?
Yes, having a workers’ comp claim and personal injury lawsuit stemming from the same accident is common. A lawsuit pursues further compensation from responsible parties, and the damages can make up for any coverage workers’ comp does not provide.
New York Labor Laws provide especially strong protections for injured construction workers under certain circumstances. Other types of third-party personal injury claims may also be viable options depending on the facts of your case.
Working with our knowledgeable attorneys can help you understand these options and maximize your recovery through every available channel.
How Much Is the Average Compensation for Knee Injuries at Work?
There is no single average settlement for a knee injury at work. Knee compensation depends on factors like:
- Type and severity of knee damage
- Necessary medical treatment
- Duration of lost work time
- Extent of permanent impairment
- At-fault parties and liability
Our attorneys are ready to fight to maximize your compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, reduced earning capacity, and other losses.
Statute of Limitations on Workplace Knee Injury Claims in NYC
In New York, workers generally have two years from the date of a work-related injury to file a workers’ compensation claim. For third-party lawsuits, they typically have three years to take legal action.
It is imperative to act quickly and speak to our attorneys, as the clock usually starts ticking on these deadlines as soon as the accident occurs. We can provide guidance on the timing of your case and handle all filings on time.
How The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., Can Help You After a Workplace Knee Injury
Our attorneys offer compassionate legal advocacy to injured workers statewide and in all five boroughs. We can:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident
- Determine all potential sources of compensation
- Handle all complex workers’ comp claims, personal injury claims, and related legal processes
- Confer with top medical specialists and other experts
- Work to maximize your compensation through all available channels
You can trust our firm to fight for your rights.
Talk to Our NYC Workplace Knee Injury Lawyers Now for Free
With over 40 years of experience, The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., stands out as a top choice for injured workers in New York City. Here’s why:
- Proven track record – We have recovered over half a billion dollars for past clients, including workers with knee injuries.
- Dedicated practice – Our firm focuses exclusively on personal injury and workers’ compensation. Your case gets our full attention.
- Trial-tested litigators – We regularly take cases to trial when needed to maximize outcomes.
- Compassionate service – We treat each client like family and are available 24/7.
- No fees unless we win – We work on a contingency fee basis, so you pay nothing upfront.
Don’t wait to get the personalized advocacy you deserve. Contact our NYC knee injury attorneys today for a free consultation.