Staten Island Car Accident Attorney
Have you been injured in a car accident in Staten Island? Was someone else to blame? If so, you may have the right to recover compensation from the person who caused the accident — and a Staten Island car accident lawyer from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can help you demand it.
For over 40 years, our attorneys have vigorously represented people who have suffered injuries in accidents across Staten Island and throughout New York State. Our efforts have earned us praise from major publications and organizations, including Super Lawyers®, The Best Lawyers in America®, and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®.
If you have been injured in a car crash in Staten Island, reach out to The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free, no-obligation case review with a car accident attorney in Staten Island. Let us help you better understand your legal options and the process for recovering the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Our Firm To Handle Your Staten Island Car Accident Case?
While there are many personal injury firms to choose from in Staten Island, not all of them are equally prepared to fight for the full compensation you deserve. To give yourself the best chance at financial recovery, you need experienced legal representation. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., we believe that we are the right choice to handle your Staten Island car accident case because of our:
- Outstanding track record of success, demonstrated by the more than half a billion dollars in compensation we have recovered for our clients
- Over four decades of legal experience, which includes representing clients in groundbreaking cases that have led to better protections for accident victims in New York
- Legal team of highly experienced trial litigators, which is backed by our firm’s resources and connections with industry-leading experts
- Reputation among our fellow attorneys, many of whom turn to our firm for help with their most difficult catastrophic injury cases
- Full-service approach to helping our clients, as we handle every aspect of their legal claims so that they can keep their time and energy focused on their recovery.
Demanding Maximum Compensation in a Car Accident Claim
A Staten Island car accident attorney can aggressively pursue maximum compensation for what you’ve suffered because of the at-fault party’s actions.
Depending on the circumstances of the auto wreck, you could be owed compensation for:
- Medical and rehabilitation bills
- Long-term care costs for permanent disabilities
- Lost income from missed work
- Loss of future income if you cannot return to work
- Physical pain and anguish
- Emotional trauma and distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Your vehicle repair or replacement
Understanding Your Legal Options
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident in Lawsuit in NY
Under New York’s statute of limitations, you have a limited time to file a car accident lawsuit against an at-fault driver or another liable party. Typically, a lawsuit must be filed within three years of the motor vehicle accident.
If you wait until after the statute of limitations expires on your auto collision claim before filing a personal injury lawsuit, the court will likely dismiss your case for being untimely. This can void your right to recover compensation for your injuries and losses.
This time limit makes it important to speak with a Staten Island car accident attorney from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., as soon as possible so we have enough time to investigate your claim and negotiate with insurers.
What You Need To Know About Dealing with Insurance Companies
You may be contacted by your insurance company or the other driver’s insurer soon after a car crash. Ideally, you will already have consulted with a Staten Island car accident attorney when this happens. Keep the following in mind while talking to the insurance adjuster:
- Do not assume the insurance adjuster is there to help you. They’re trying to get you to accept as little money as possible for your car accident claim. Insurance companies maximize their profits by not paying full compensation to accident victims.
- Do not give an oral or written statement if the insurance adjuster asks. Adjusters have experience questioning accident victims to get them to make statements that they manipulate to deny a claim or reduce the payout. Instead, you should direct the insurance company to submit their requests directly to your attorney.
- Do not sign any documents from the insurance company unless an attorney has reviewed them. While you may feel financial pressure to accept money as soon as possible, you could unintentionally give up important rights to recover compensation for all your expenses.
What To Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident
After an auto accident, you should remember to take the following steps to make sure you have the legal option to pursue compensation for your injuries and losses:
- Gather evidence — Try to take photos and videos of the accident scene with your cell phone. Record important details such as damage to the vehicles, your injuries, traffic signals and signs, skid marks, and traffic conditions.
- Get medical attention — See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident to be examined for injuries. Follow your doctor’s treatment instructions and recommendations.
- Keep all records — Request copies of medical records from your treatment. Keep bills, invoices, and receipts from expenses you incur due to the accident. Save copies of your pay stubs or income statements if you’ve missed work due to your injuries.
- Be careful on social media — Insurance companies sometimes use accident victims’ social media posts to contradict their injury claims. Avoid discussing the accident or your legal case on social media. You shouldn’t post photos or videos of yourself while treating or rehabilitating your injuries.
- Contact an attorney — Speak with a Staten Island car accident lawyer from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., to review your legal rights to compensation. We can advocate for you and pursue the compensation you deserve while you recover from your injuries.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Auto collisions can result in catastrophic, life-altering injuries. Some common car accident injuries our lawyers see include the following:
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments, tendons, and muscles
- Herniated discs
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Head and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Common Causes of Car Accidents on Staten Island
With the amount of traffic in NYC, there is a wide variety of ways car wrecks can be caused. Some of the most frequent causes of auto accidents in Staten Island include the following:
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Disobeying traffic signals and signs
- Not using turn signals or checking mirrors
- Not yielding the right of way
- Illegal turns
- Distracted driving
- Driving while drowsy
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Inexperienced drivers
- Unfamiliarity with local roads
- Poor road conditions, including potholes or black ice
- Poor weather conditions and low visibility
- Lack of car maintenance
- Defective auto parts
How a Staten Island Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
When you have been hurt in a car wreck, a Staten Island car accident lawyer from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can help you demand the compensation you’re owed by:
- Thoroughly investigating the crash to recover all available evidence, including accident scene photos, surveillance footage, police accident reports, and witness statements
- Working with accident reconstruction experts to determine how the accident occurred and who can be held liable
- Identifying applicable insurance coverages and other sources for compensation in your case
- Documenting your injuries and losses to make sure we seek full financial recovery on your behalf
- Preparing and filing insurance claims and aggressively pursuing settlement negotiations to secure compensation for you as efficiently as possible
- Taking your claims to court and litigating at trial if that becomes necessary
Contact Our Proven Car Accident Injury Attorneys Today
You shouldn’t be left paying the costs of a car crash someone else caused. But getting the full compensation you’re owed can be difficult without the help of an experienced attorney. Get the legal assistance you need by contacting The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free initial consultation with a car accident attorney in Staten Island.