Bicycle Accident Attorney in Long Island
Riding a bicycle is a popular way to get around Long Island. However, it can also be dangerous. Serious bicycle crashes occur when motorists fail to take responsibility for safely sharing the road. Cyclists who survive crashes can face debilitating injuries, costly medical bills, and years of emotional distress.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, we want to help. The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., has protected the rights of New York cyclists for more than 40 years and recovered more than half a billion dollars for them in that time. We do not charge any upfront fees and can take care of everything related to your case while you heal. Contact us today for a free consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer on Long Island.
How Our Lawyers Help Bicycle Accident Victims
You should not have to pursue compensation on your own after a bicycle wreck. Too much is on the line. You deserve to be compensated for the full range of losses you suffered. Our bicycle accident attorneys in Long Island can:
- Help you find the right doctors – You may need specialized treatment to give yourself the best chance of recovering from your injuries. We can help you to find doctors who can treat you as we move forward with your case.
- Investigate the accident – It is not always immediately apparent who is at fault for a Long Island bike accident. We will review all available evidence to identify everyone liable for your injuries, such as a negligent driver, a local government agency, or a business owner.
- Document your injuries – To maximize your compensation in a bicycle accident settlement, you must document all your physical injuries, financial expenses, and emotional distress. We will use your medical records, expert testimony, and other evidence to account for the many ways the accident has impacted your life.
- File an insurance claim – First, we will review all your documents so that everything is in order before you submit your insurance claim. Then, we will negotiate with the insurance company to demand a reasonable settlement.
- Bring your case to trial – Most bicycle accident cases end in an insurance settlement. However, some insurers refuse to negotiate in good faith. If this happens, we can file a lawsuit and try your case to seek full compensation for your injuries.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents on Long Island
During one recent year, more than 6,000 bicyclists in New York were involved in crashes. Fifty-five cyclists died from their injuries, while 714 cyclists suffered injuries that fell into the “serious” category, according to the Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research. Motorists often cause bicycle accidents on Long Island when they:
- Fail to pay attention behind the wheel – Distracted drivers can easily miss a cyclist crossing the street in front of them, leading to a crash. Similarly, distracted drivers might drift out of their lane and strike a cyclist next to them. Common driver distractions include talking on a cellphone, texting, grooming, applying makeup, and adjusting in-vehicle controls.
- Drive aggressively – Drivers who make unsafe turns or lane changes, weave through traffic, or engage in other aggressive actions are much more likely to hit cyclists because they are not in control of their vehicles.
- Drink or take drugs – Drivers who are impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs, or prescription medications might cause a bike accident because they are fatigued, their senses are not as sharp, and they are more prone to errors of judgment.
- Fail to yield the right of way – Motorists are supposed to yield the right-of-way to cyclists in certain situations and exercise care when driving nearby them. When drivers do not follow right-of-way laws, they risk striking cyclists.
- Fail to check mirrors or blind spots before turning – Drivers need to be sure it is safe before they attempt to make a turn. Otherwise, they can cut off or run into a cyclist next to them.
- Speed, run red lights, or violate other traffic laws – Traffic laws exist to protect drivers, cyclists, and anyone else who uses the road. Drivers who ignore these laws jeopardize the safety of those around them.
- Fail to check mirrors before opening a car door – “Dooring” accidents happen when drivers or passengers carelessly open their doors into the path of a cyclist, causing the cyclist to collide with the door (and often suffer a head injury).
Poor road conditions, such as potholes, missing signage, and lack of lane markings, can also contribute to bicycle accidents in Long Island and throughout New York.
Most Common Types of Bicycle Accidents on Long Island
Some of the most common types of bike accidents on Long Island include:
- Rear-end accidents – Rear-end collisions often happen because a driver is distracted, impaired, or tired.
- Head-on accidents – Head-on bicycle accidents can happen when a driver drifts into oncoming traffic because they are impaired, distracted, or simply careless.
- Side-impact collisions – Drivers who do not give enough room to cyclists in adjacent lanes risk striking them from the side.
Types of Injuries from Bicycle Accidents on Long Island
Long Island bicycle accidents frequently lead to significant injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Joint damage
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Crushed or severed limbs, which may need to be amputated
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Emotional distress
What Are My Legal Rights After a Long Island Bicycle Accident?
If you have just been injured in a Long Island bicycle accident and have a New York auto insurance policy, you can use your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses related to a crash. PIP benefits will cover up to $50,000 of your losses.
However, PIP benefits may not be sufficient to cover all your losses after a bicycle accident. If you have used up your PIP benefits, you can file an insurance claim against the driver who hit you or another liable party. However, you will have to prove the driver was negligent and demonstrate that you have suffered “serious injuries,” per the state’s definition.
As the New York State Bar Association explains, serious injuries include any injury that results in:
- Significant disfigurement
- Bone fractures
- Permanent loss of a bodily organ, member, system, or function
A serious injury also includes any injury that prevents you from performing your typical daily activities for 90 cumulative days during the six months following the crash.
Recoverable Compensation for Long Island Bicycle Accidents
If you were injured in a Long Island bicycle accident, our injury attorneys can help you to seek compensation for damages that may include:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earnings.
Contact Our Experienced Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyers for Help Today
Were you hurt in a bicycle accident on Long Island? Was someone else to blame? If so, get in touch with The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today to speak with a bicycle accident lawyer on Long Island. You could be owed money. We can help you demand it.