Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Brooklyn
Living with a significant spinal cord injury means adjusting to a new reality filled with medical appointments, physical limitations, and unforeseen financial pressures. If you need to help rebuild your life after a spinal cord injury you suffered due to someone else’s wrongdoing, The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can bring legal clarity and relief in these turbulent times.
Our dedicated Brooklyn spinal cord injury lawyers bring years of experience to the table, along with an unwavering commitment to seeking justice. We provide personalized legal strategies designed to aggressively seek the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. With The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., at your side, you can rest assured that your fight for justice is in capable, caring hands.
Call today or complete our online contact form for a free case review.
Why You Need Help from Our Brooklyn Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Spinal cord injuries disrupt every aspect of your life, and recovering compensation for your losses is not easy. You need an experienced and capable attorney to handle your case while you focus on your health and your future. With that in mind, here’s why you can trust The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., with your Brooklyn spinal cord injury case:
- Unmatched Experience – We’ve spent decades handling spinal cord injury cases and helping our clients recover the money they need. We know the medical details, local laws, and strategies needed to build a compelling case.
- Client-Centered – Our clients are our priority. We’ll walk you through every legal step, ensuring you have the information and support you deserve throughout the process.
- Proven Success – Our track record speaks for itself. We have secured more than half a billion dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients, helping them cover their medical bills, lost wages, and more.
- No Initial Fees – We operate on contingency, meaning you pay no legal fees unless we win your case.
What Is a Spinal Cord Injury?
A spinal cord injury is damage to any part of the spinal cord or the nerves at the end of the spinal canal. The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves running from the base of the brain down the middle of the back. It transmits signals between the brain and the rest of the body. When an injury damages this pathway, it can disrupt these critical communication links, leading to a range of complications that often include paralysis.
Different Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Doctors classify spinal cord injuries in several ways, depending on factors like the injury’s cause, how severe it is, and where it occurred:
- Complete and Incomplete Spinal Cord Injuries – A complete spinal cord injury occurs when the damage to the spinal cord results in total loss of sensory and motor functions below the level of the injury. That means there are no signals from the brain to areas below the injury site. On the other hand, an incomplete spinal cord injury implies some degree of function or sensation below the level of the injury.
- Tetraplegia and Paraplegia – Paraplegia results from a spinal cord injury at the spine’s midpoint or below, affecting the body’s lower half. Individuals with paraplegia typically have some or complete loss of motor and sensory functions in the legs and trunk. Tetraplegia (also called quadriplegia) results from an injury to the cervical section of the spinal cord located in the neck. This type of injury affects all four limbs and the torso, leading to partial or total paralysis in both the arms and legs.
- Four Sections of the Spinal Cord – The cervical spinal cord is the topmost section of the spinal cord located in the neck. The next section down is the thoracic spinal cord, located in the chest area. Below that is the lumbar spinal cord, which runs from the chest to the lower back. Finally, the sacral spinal cord is located at the bottom of the spinal cord.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Brooklyn
According to information from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the top causes of spinal cord injuries are:
- Car accidents (37.6 percent)
- Falls (31.5 percent)
- Violence (15.4 percent)
- Sports injuries (8.3 percent)
Signs and Symptoms of a Spinal Cord Injury
According to the Mayo Clinic, common signs and symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- Impaired or lack of movement
- Impaired or lost ability to experience heat, cold, and touch
- Inability to control bowel or bladder
- Overlarge spasms or reflex movements
- Altered fertility, sexual function, and sexual sensitivity
- Stinging or pain from nerve damage
- Impaired breathing or coughing
The Impact of Spinal Cord Injuries on Daily Life
Because a spinal cord injury impacts so many aspects of your life, it can make daily living a significant challenge. Common challenges people have after sustaining a spinal cord injury include mobility issues, self-care challenges, altered sensations, and respiratory problems. Bladder and bowel issues are common, as are changes in sexual function and mental health problems. In addition to all this, financial stress is a factor.
Potential Compensation for a Spinal Cord Injury
A severe spinal cord injury can greatly affect your earning potential and quality of life. Therefore, making the most of your one chance to recover compensation is essential. Our Brooklyn spinal cord injury attorneys can help you pursue compensation for your injury, which may include money for:
- Medical expenses, including future medical costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- Assistive devices and home modification costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium (meaning how the injury affects your relationship with your partner)
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Brooklyn Spinal Cord Injury?
While the specific liable parties in your case depend on the circumstances of your injury, some examples of parties who are commonly liable for spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle operators
- Property owners
- Product manufacturers
- Construction companies
- Medical professionals
Contact Our Brooklyn Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
When you are facing the life-altering impact of a spinal cord injury, it’s essential to have a proven legal team on your side. The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., has the resources and resolve to tirelessly pursue justice for you and hold those who caused your injury accountable.
If you’re ready to discuss your case, call us or complete our online contact form for a free case review.