Staten Island Construction Accident Attorneys
Construction projects throughout Staten Island keep the city thriving and provide many jobs. However, construction is one of the most dangerous industries for workers.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported about three injuries or illnesses for every 100 full-time workers in the construction industry in one recent year. There were also over 1,000 fatalities among construction workers across the U.S. that same year.
If you were hurt in a construction site accident in Staten Island, get in touch with The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., right away. Our highly-rated legal team has a proven track record of helping injured workers recover compensation for medical bills and other expenses. With our extensive experience and knowledge, we can help you demand the money you need.
Contact our office today for your free initial consultation with a Staten Island construction accident lawyer.
Why Choose Us To Handle Your Construction Accident Case?
If you’ve been injured in a Staten Island construction accident, you want to hire an attorney who understands what’s involved in these cases. The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., has a proud history of helping injured construction workers recover fair compensation for their injuries and other losses. Here are a few of our notable results:
- A jury awarded one of our clients more than $15 million in damages to a sheet metal worker who fell from a ladder after it kicked out from underneath him. The defendant argued the injured worker caused his own injuries. However, extensive questioning from our attorney showed it was actually the defendant who was to blame.
- We helped an injured union worker obtain a $12 million settlement after he was struck by an angle iron and fell 15 feet from the top of the ladder. The worker sustained major injuries to his brain, skull, shoulder blade, and hand, which required multiple surgeries.
- A jury awarded one of our clients about $12 million in damages after he fell from a suspension scaffold. The injured worker, an asbestos-abatement specialist, suffered a career-ending back injury in the fall.
Who Can Be Held Responsible After a Construction Accident?
Many injured construction workers in Staten Island don’t recover full compensation after an accident because they don’t know all the parties who can be held liable. Some of the parties who may be responsible for a construction site accident include the following:
- Your employer — If you suffer an injury on a job site, you are most likely eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. In most cases, you can claim workers’ compensation even if you are to blame for an accident.
- The property owner — If your injuries were caused by the property owner’s negligence, you may be eligible to file a third-party personal injury claim against them. This would allow you to recover compensation beyond what you can receive through workers’ compensation.
- Contractors and vendors — If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent vendor, contractor, or sub-contractor, you can file a personal injury claim against them to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Manufacturers of construction equipment — Faulty tools or equipment are common causes of construction accidents. In cases like these, an injured worker can file a claim against the manufacturer of the defective equipment.
Understanding Your Rights After a Construction Accident
If you want to recover the maximum compensation possible after a construction accident, it’s important to know all the types of payment you can pursue. There are three main sources of compensation you can seek after a construction accident:
- Personal injury claim — Personal injury claims require you to show the at-fault party failed to take reasonable steps to prevent your injuries. You generally cannot sue your employer for negligence after a construction accident. But New York’s workers’ compensation laws allow injured construction workers to file a lawsuit in a few special circumstances.
- Workers’ compensation claim — Your employer is responsible for covering your medical bills and a portion of your missed wages through their workers’ compensation insurance. However, many employers will try to avoid paying out workers’ compensation benefits to injured workers, so you may need help from an attorney.
- Social Security Disability (SSD) claim — If your injuries in a construction accident have caused a long-term disability, you may be able to receive Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. You must have earned enough work credits in recent years to claim benefits. Your disability must also be terminal, have already lasted for a year, or be expected to last at least a year.
Demanding Full Payment for Your Losses After a Construction Accident in Staten Island
Construction workers often suffer severe injuries in accidents. In addition to the toll these injuries take on your body, you may also have major medical expenses and suffer long-term disabilities.
By working with an experienced New York construction accident lawyer, you can demand compensation for the full range of losses you have experienced, including the following:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages and any reduction in your future earning potential
- Physical pain and suffering from your injuries
- Emotional distress caused by your injuries
- Damaged personal property
How Long Do You Have To File a Construction Accident Lawsuit?
You have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit after a construction accident in most cases. However, it’s generally a good idea to file a lawsuit as soon as possible after an accident to make sure you don’t run into any issues with the statute of limitations. Talking to an attorney soon after an accident also makes it easier for them to find the evidence you need to support your case.
How Our Staten Island Construction Accident Attorneys Can Take the Pressure Off You
One of the main reasons to hire an attorney after a construction accident is that they can make the legal process much easier for you. If you have suffered major injuries, you shouldn’t have to worry about building your construction accident claim in addition to getting the treatment you need.
When you hire one of our experienced construction accident attorneys, they can handle many aspects of your case for you. Your lawyer can:
- Gather evidence to support your case
- Determine all parties that may owe you compensation or benefits
- Make sure all the necessary paperwork is filed correctly
- Communicate with the defendants and their attorneys
- Handle settlement negotiations with the insurance companies
You could do all this work on your own. But that’s a lot to manage when you’ve just suffered serious physical trauma. Hiring a Staten Island construction accident lawyer means you can take advantage of their knowledge and experience, making it more likely you’ll recover maximum compensation for your injuries.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After a Construction Accident in Staten Island
If you have been in a construction site accident, follow these tips to help protect your rights and give yourself the best chance of claiming compensation for your injuries:
- Report the injury to your employer as soon as possible — Be sure to tell your supervisor or an HR representative, preferably in writing. If you cannot make the report yourself, ask a trusted friend, family member, or colleague to do it for you.
- Document the accident scene — Taking pictures of the scene and any hazards that might have contributed to the accident is a good way to start building a case for negligence.
- See a medical professional — Get medical treatment as soon as possible and follow your doctor’s orders. Not listening to your doctor could jeopardize your chances of recovering compensation for your injuries.
- Do not give any recorded statements about the accident — Insurance companies will be looking for any inconsistencies in your story. You’re better off letting your lawyer talk to them on your behalf.
- Hire a Brooklyn construction accident attorney as soon as possible — The longer you wait, the more likely it is that key evidence will disappear or an accidental error could harm your case.
Common Causes of Construction Accidents in Staten Island
Some of the most common causes of construction site accidents in Staten Island include the following:
- Falls from scaffolds, ladders, and other heights
- Workers struck by falling objects
- Electrocution accidents
- Workers getting stuck between two objects
- Structures collapsing
- Defective and unsafe equipment
- Negligent supervisors
- Lack of proper safety training
- Faulty stairways or railings
- Chemical exposure
- Explosions and fires
Common Construction Accident Injuries
Construction accidents often cause major injuries, including the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and face injuries
- Neck and spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Damage to joints, muscles, and connective tissues
Talk to a Staten Island Construction Accident Attorney Now
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., is committed to helping those hurt in construction accidents recover fair compensation for their injuries. If you have been injured while working on a construction site, we want to hear from you.
As a full-service law firm for complex construction accident cases, we’re prepared to help you through workers’ compensation claims, personal injury lawsuits, Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, and appeals. Call us today for a free consultation with a construction accident lawyer in Staten Island.