Brooklyn Workplace Slip-and-Fall Accident Attorney
Slip-and-fall accidents at work can have devastating consequences, causing injuries that require expensive medical treatment and leaving victims unable to work to earn a living. If you’ve suffered a workplace slip-and-fall accident in Brooklyn, you have legal options to pursue financial relief for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses.
Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free initial consultation with our Brooklyn slip-and-fall accident lawyers. We will help you seek the compensation you need to treat your injuries and move forward.
Why You Need Our Attorneys After a Fall at Work in Brooklyn
If you suffered a fall at work, you need an experienced workplace injury attorney who will fight for the maximum compensation possible. For over 40 years, The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., has handled some of the most challenging catastrophic injury cases in New York. Our attorneys have a proven track record of success, recovering more than half a billion dollars for our deserving clients.
Our firm is highly respected among our legal peers, many of whom refer their most complex cases to us. When you hire our firm after a fall at work in Brooklyn, you can rest assured that we will handle all the details of your case so you can focus on healing.
Common Causes and Types of Slip-and-Fall Accidents in Brooklyn Workplaces
Some of the most common causes of slip-and-fall accidents in Brooklyn workplaces include:
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Snow, ice, rainwater, mud, or plant debris
- Water leaks
- Spilled foods or liquids
- Torn, broken, or loose carpeting, rugs, or flooring
- Uneven floors
- Broken pavement or potholes
- Loose cords or wires
- Trash or debris on the ground
- Missing handrails or guardrails
- Broken steps or ladder rungs
- Malfunctioning elevators or escalators
- Inadequate lighting
- Wet grass or loose gravel
Common types of fall accidents that can occur in the workplace include:
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Trip-and-fall accidents
- Falls from heights
- Scaffolding accidents
- Ladder accidents
- Staircase accidents
- Elevator and escalator accidents
Injuries Frequently Caused by Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Depending on the circumstances of a workplace fall, a worker might suffer various injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bruising and bleeding
- Herniated spinal discs
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Muscle and tendon strains and tears
Labor Law Claims for Workplace Fall Injuries
An employee injured in a workplace fall may be able to file a compensation claim under the New York Labor Law. Several provisions of the Labor Law can impose liability for workplace injuries. These provisions include:
- Labor Law 200 – Imposes statutory negligence for injuries suffered by workers on worksites due to a dangerous or defective property condition. A party may have liability under Labor Law 200 when it had the authority to supervise the worksite and its safety.
- Labor Law 240(1) – Imposes liability for fall accidents involving unsafe ladders or scaffolding. This section allows for vicarious liability against a general contractor or site owner.
- Labor Law 241(6) – Imposes liability on construction companies that fail to provide workers with adequate safety measures, including protections against slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents or falls from heights.
Premises Liability Claims for Job-Related Slip-and-Fall Accidents
You may have the right to pursue a premises liability claim if you suffer a slip-and-fall accident due to a dangerous property condition. A premises liability claim requires a plaintiff to prove that the property owner created the hazardous condition that caused the fall or that their negligent maintenance of the property allowed the condition to persist for an unreasonable amount of time before the accident.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Brooklyn Fall Accidents
Employees injured in slip-and-fall accidents can file workers’ compensation claims with their employer to obtain financial benefits. Benefits available under the New York workers’ comp system include:
- Medical benefits that pay for all reasonable and necessary medical treatment and rehabilitation for a work injury
- Lost wage benefits that provide partial reimbursement for lost income due to missed workdays or lower earnings in part-time or light-duty work
- Permanent disability benefits that provide financial payments based on the nature and severity of a physical disability or loss of use of a body part
Types of Compensation Available for Slip-and-Fall Workplace Accidents
In a premises liability or Labor Law claim, you may have the right to pursue compensation for financial and personal losses due to slip-and-fall accident injuries. You could seek money for:
- Medical treatment and rehabilitation, including out-of-pocket expenses not covered by workers’ compensation
- Long-term care and assistance you need after suffering permanent disabilities due to your injuries
- Full reimbursement for your ongoing and future losses of income and earning potential, including if you develop a permanent disability
- Physical pain and anguish from your injuries and medical treatment
- Emotional trauma and distress
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life because of disabilities, permanent scarring, and disfigurement
Statute of Limitations on Brooklyn Slip-and-Fall Workplace Accidents
Under New York’s statute of limitations for injury claims, you have only three years to file a lawsuit after getting hurt in a slip-and-fall workplace accident. Under certain limited circumstances, you may have additional time to file your lawsuit. However, filing your suit after the statutory deadline means you could lose your right to pursue compensation in civil court.
If you need to file a formal workers’ compensation claim with the state to recover benefits from your employer, you have only two years after a workplace slip-and-fall accident or two years after the last date you received workers’ comp benefits to file your claim.
How Our Brooklyn Workplace Fall Attorneys Can Help You
You may have several legal avenues for pursuing compensation for injuries you suffer in a workplace fall in Brooklyn. Let the attorneys of The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., help you seek the financial relief you deserve by:
- Investigating the accident and gathering crucial evidence
- Evaluating your options for seeking compensation, including filing for workers’ comp or pursuing Labor Law or premises liability claims
- Documenting your injuries and losses to help you pursue the maximum money possible
- Handling communications and negotiations with your employer, property owners, and insurance companies so you can focus on your treatment and rehab
- Vigorously pursuing the financial relief you need through a settlement or by going to trial
If you’ve suffered injuries in a fall at work, get experienced legal help to seek the justice and financial relief you deserve. Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free no-obligation consultation with our Brooklyn workplace fall attorneys.