New York City Clergy Abuse Lawyer
Call The Perecman Firm 24/7 for a Free Consultation!
Helping Child Sexual Abuse Survivors Seek Justice
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is a nationally recognized Civil Trial Law Firm dedicated to fighting on behalf of victims and families – including survivors of sexual abuse and assault.
Backed by an award-winning team, we represent children, families, and adult survivors of child sex abuse in civil litigation against religious institutions that failed to adequately investigate abuse allegations, report to law enforcement, and keep children and members safe.
Following New York’s extension of the New York Child Victims Act, more survivors are now stepping forward to bring sexual abuse claims against clergy and religious organizations. The Perecman Firm is available to guide you toward the justice you deserve.
Why Choose The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.?
- We have recovered over half a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
- We have been trusted by victims and families across NY since 1983.
- Our award-winning attorneys draw from decades of collective experience.
- We work on contingency fees – there is no fee unless we win.
Our team is available to discuss your rights, legal options, and how we can help during a FREE and confidential consultation. Call or contact us online to speak with a lawyer.
Holding Clergy & Religious Institutions Accountable
In recent years, clergy, religious leaders, and volunteers from a variety of religious institutions have been implicated in sexual abuse scandals. The Perecman Firm is prepared to help survivors step forward with civil claims against many of these groups, including:
- The Catholic Church / Catholic Dioceses
- Evangelical Christians
- Orthodox Judaism / Yeshivas
- The Church of Latter Day Saints / Mormons
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
These religious organizations have been accused of systemic and inexcusable failures, and have for decades worked to actively conceal the truth. While abuse cases are unique matters, all cases of clergy abuse focus on similar claims, including:
- Failures to prevent abuse: Just as abusers themselves can be held accountable, so too can the organizations that failed to prevent the abuse. Often, this stems from failures to remove known or credibly accused abusers, whether due to negligence or secrecy, concealment, and deceit.
- Failures to investigate / report: In some cases, religious leadership may fail to properly investigate complaints or accusations brought by congregants, or report them to authorities as required by law. This can dissuade survivors from stepping forward with their allegations, and create a culture where abuse is tacitly permitted and abusers face no consequences.
- Concealing allegations: Evidence released through litigation shows that many religious organizations, including the Catholic Church, actively worked to protect credibly accused abusers and conceal allegations of sexual abuse. This may involve squashing investigations, moving clergy to new locations, or relieving them of certain duties.
New York Child Victims Act Extended
New York became one of the first states in the country to pass legislation that greatly expanded the rights of child sexual abuse victims and the statute of limitations for bringing lawsuits against abusers and institutions that failed to prevent abuse – the New York Child Victims Act (CVA).
Under the Act:
- Child sexual abuse victims have until the age of 55 to file civil claims.
- Adult survivors of child sexual abuse with claims previously barred by the statute of limitations were granted a 1-year window of revival during which they could file civil claims. The window allows adult survivors, regardless of age or when the abuse took place, to bring civil suits.
While the NY Child Victim’s Act took effect in 2019, recent events and backlogs in the court exacerbated by COVID-19 have prompted lawmakers to extend the 1-year window of revival.
Now, adult survivors of child sexual abuse have until August 14, 2021 to file civil claims. Please see this announcement from the Governor of the State of New York.
Fighting For Justice. Fighting for Accountability.
As with other civil claims, sexual abuse lawsuits provide victims with an opportunity to hold wrongdoers and responsible parties accountable – and to recover financial compensation for their damages.
While every case is different, victims of sexual abuse may be entitled to a recovery of their:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and psychological anguish
- Medical and mental health expenses
- Future medical or mental care expenses
- Other monetary and non-monetary damages
Stepping forward to make your voice heard is a courageous and commendable act, and The Perecman Firm is dedicated to guiding survivors step by step through their legal journeys. If you have questions about a potential claim, contact us for a FREE and confidential case review.
Over Half a Billion Recovered
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.'s team of NYC personal injury attorneys have recovered more than half a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements for their clients.See Our Results
Trusted Advocates in Your Time of Need
Our experienced legal team has been advocating for the rights of injured workers and individuals since 1983.Meet Our Team
An Active Voice in the News & Media
The attorneys at the Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C have been featured in ABC, The New York Times, CNN, NBC, CBS, New York Post, and more!View News Articles