Delivery Truck Accident Attorney in NYC
As online shopping becomes more prevalent in New York, delivery truck accidents are becoming more common. Delivery trucks are typically bigger and heavier than passenger vehicles, which makes them dangerous when collisions occur. The increased chance of severe injuries also means that people can face higher medical bills after a truck crash. Their injuries will likely take a sharp toll on their quality of life.
If you were hit by a delivery truck in New York City, get in touch with The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., immediately. Our personal injury attorneys have more than 40 years of combined experience and have recovered over half a billion dollars in compensation for our clients. Once we take your case, our New York delivery truck accident lawyers will handle all the legal details while you focus on treating your injuries. You do not owe us any fees unless we secure compensation for your injuries, and we offer free consultations to prospective clients.
How Can a Delivery Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
Generally, it is not a good idea for a person hurt in a truck crash to seek compensation on their own. Too much is at stake. Our New York City delivery truck accident lawyers can:
- Help you obtain the medical care you need.
- Identify all potentially liable parties, such as the delivery driver, the delivery company, or another party altogether.
- Document all your physical, financial, and emotional injuries to maximize your potential compensation.
- Handle all the paperwork related to an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Negotiate with the delivery company, their insurance provider, or other parties in pursuit of a fair settlement offer.
- Take your case to trial if the liable parties will not negotiate in good faith.
Types of Delivery Trucks and Common Carriers
Some common types of delivery vehicles that are involved in accidents include:
- Box trucks
- Flatbed trucks
Some of the most prominent companies that operate or contract with delivery vehicles in New York City are:
Causes of Delivery Truck Accidents in NYC
Many factors can lead to a delivery truck accident in New York. Some of the most common ones are:
- Fatigue – Delivery drivers often work odd hours and long shifts or have to get up early to make their deliveries on time. If a delivery driver is severely fatigued, they are more prone to mistakes that can lead to an accident. A severely fatigued delivery driver might even fall asleep at the wheel.
- Improper or inadequate training – A typical delivery van weighs more than 10,000 pounds. These vehicles are also bulkier than passenger vehicles. Handling these vehicles requires special training and experience, but some companies put new drivers behind the wheel without making sure they can operate the van safely.
- Poor vehicle maintenance – The increased size and weight of delivery trucks and the wear and tear they go through necessitate regular maintenance. If a delivery van is not adequately maintained, mechanical breakdowns are more likely. A breakdown at the wrong moment can lead to a crash.
- Speeding and risky maneuvers – Time is money in the shipping and delivery industries. Companies push drivers to complete their routes as quickly as possible. This pressure can lead drivers to speed or take other risks that make a crash more likely.
- Driving in inclement weather – Delivery drivers must be especially careful in bad weather, as rain, snow, ice, and other hazards make it especially hard to control a large, cumbersome vehicle.
- Distracted driving – Delivery drivers are as susceptible to distractions as anyone else. The difference is that a delivery van can potentially cause much more damage than a passenger vehicle in a crash. If a driver is talking on the phone, texting, or otherwise distracted, they put everyone around them at risk of injury or worse.
- Improper cargo loading or overloading – If a delivery truck’s cargo is not balanced and secured correctly, it can shift while the truck is in transit and throw the vehicle off balance. Similarly, overloaded delivery trucks are more likely to roll over, especially if a driver is not careful when turning.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs – Delivery drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs might miss a vehicle or pedestrian in their path, are more prone to errors that can cause a crash, and they are much more likely to fall asleep at the wheel.
Common Delivery Truck Accident Injuries
Delivery truck accidents in New York frequently cause severe injuries to drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and others. These injuries often include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushed or severed limbs, which may need to be amputated
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ injuries
- Severe lacerations and abrasions
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
What Makes a Delivery Truck Company Liable for an Accident?
Many delivery drivers are direct employees of the delivery company they work for, and employers are typically liable for any accidents their employees cause while on the job. For example, United Postal Service (UPS) drivers usually work directly for the company. So, you could potentially file a claim with UPS directly if one of their drivers injures you. Amazon, on the other hand, typically subcontracts with independent delivery companies, which makes it harder to hold Amazon itself liable for a crash. Other companies follow Amazon’s example and use contractors to try to shield themselves from liability.
Depending on the circumstances, parties other than the driver and the delivery company could also be responsible for a crash. In cases where delivery truck accidents are caused by poor maintenance or mechanical defects, the manufacturer of the truck, the crew that maintains it, or the delivery company that operates it may all share some level of responsibility for the crash. A truck accident attorney can tell you more about who may be liable for your injuries.
Compensation for Delivery Truck Accident Claims
Depending on the circumstances of the collision, a delivery truck accident attorney at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., could help you seek compensation for losses like:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earnings
Contact the Delivery Truck Accident Lawyers at The Perecman Firm
The team at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., is ready to defend your rights after a collision involving a delivery truck. Call us today or submit our online form for a free consultation with one of our delivery truck accident lawyers in New York.