Repetitive Stress, Strain, and Motion Work Injuries in New York City
If you’ve received a diagnosis of a repetitive stress injury that might be work-related, you need experienced legal advice from a trusted law firm. Our NYC work injury lawyers want to help you pursue the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses.
Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., now for a free initial case review to discuss your legal options with a knowledgeable repetitive motion injury lawyer in NYC.
Why You Should Choose Our NYC Workplace Injury Attorneys
When you need help pursuing compensation claims after developing a repetitive motion injury at work, our experienced workplace injury lawyers could make a big difference in the outcome of your case. For over 40 years, injured workers have turned to the New York City repetitive stress injury lawyers at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., because:
- We have a proven record of success in injury cases, having recovered over half a billion dollars for our clients.
- We have four-plus decades of experience in workplace injury law. Our firm has worked in some of New York’s groundbreaking cases that have shaped the law to provide greater rights to employees.
- We have a deep roster of proven trial litigators supported by top medical and vocational experts and extensive resources to handle complex cases.
- We have a stellar reputation in the legal community, with many attorneys choosing to refer their most challenging cases to us.
- We handle every aspect of your repetitive strain injury case so you can focus on your treatment and healing.
Common Types of Workplace Injuries Due to Repetitive Stress, Strain, and Motion
Repetitive stress injuries include injuries or medical conditions related to constant repetitive motions. Some of the most common examples of repetitive stress injuries that workers in NYC can suffer include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Trigger finger
- Shin splints
- Back strains and sprains
- Herniated spinal discs
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- Nerve compression syndrome
- Ganglion cysts
- Stress fractures
Causes of Repetitive Stress, Strain, and Movement Injuries in New York
A repetitive strain injury occurs when a person makes repeated motions with the same muscle or muscle group for an extended period.
Repeated movements can cause microscopic damage to muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other soft tissues. By continuing to make the same motions without taking a break, a person may not give tissues time to repair and can aggravate the damage. Over time, harm from repetitive stress can accumulate and cause symptoms such as chronic pain, tenderness, weakness, and stiffness.
Jobs Where Workers Often Suffer Injuries Due to Repetitive Actions
Virtually any worker could develop a repetitive strain injury. Examples of jobs where workers are especially prone to repetitive stress injuries include:
- Retail workers
- Waste collection workers
- Factory and fabrication shop workers
- Mechanics, electricians, plumbers, and appliance installers
- Healthcare workers
Treatment for Injuries Due to Repetitive Strain and Stress
The treatment required for repetitive stress injuries depends on multiple factors, including the nature of the overuse injury, a person’s age, overall health, and medical history, and the person’s tolerance for various treatment options.
Treatment options for repetitive stress injuries may include:
- Regular use of hot or cold compresses
- Regular or as-needed use of braces or splints
- Home exercises to build strength or range of motion or prevent further injury
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Pain medication
- Trigger point injections
Effective treatment should improve a person’s motor function and reduce severe pain caused by the repetitive stress injury so they can return to work and personal activities. However, many repetitive stress injuries cause lasting impairment even with treatment.
Types of Compensation Employees Can Receive for Repetitive Strain Injuries at Work in New York
In New York, workers who suffer repetitive strain injuries due to their job may have several avenues for recovering compensation for their injury losses, such as:
- Workers’ compensation – Under New York’s workers’ compensation law, an employee who develops a repetitive stress injury due to their work can file a claim to recover compensation. Types of benefits include payment of reasonable and necessary medical treatment, partial wage replacement for missed work, and payments for permanent disabilities.
- NY Labor Law §240(1) – When laborers suffer a repetitive stress injury due to unsafe or unstable ladders or scaffolding, they may hold the responsible parties strictly liable for failing to provide a safe work environment.
- NY Labor Law §241(6) – This law gives construction workers the right to pursue compensation from an employer when they fail to provide reasonable and adequate safety protection on the construction site. However, as a negligence claim, a worker’s financial recovery under this statute may be reduced if the worker’s own negligence contributed to their injury.
- NY Labor Law §200 – This statute allows an employee to pursue a work injury claim against a site owner or general contractor for injuries suffered in accidents caused by dangerous property conditions or the means, methods, or manner of work that result from the owner or contractor’s negligence.
OSHA Regulations for Repetitive Actions and Workplace Safety
Under OSHA regulations, workers have the right to work free of known health and occupational safety hazards, including hazards that can cause repetitive stress injuries. Employers have an obligation to:
- Provide employees with workplace health and safety training.
- Furnish tools, equipment, and machinery that are safe for employees to use and train employees in the correct ergonomic use of tools.
- Provide workers with safety equipment, such as gloves, harnesses, or lifting equipment.
- Encourage workers to report early symptoms of repetitive stress injuries and take corrective action, such as making work tasks more ergonomic and less repetitive or providing workers with more frequent breaks and rest periods.
How Our Lawyers Help Workers with Repetitive Strain Injuries
When you’ve developed a repetitive stress injury due to your work duties in NYC, you may have the right to obtain compensation for your medical care and lost wages if your injury keeps you out of work, as well as other potential benefits. Let a repetitive stress injury lawyer in NYC from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., help you pursue the full and fair compensation you need by:
- Investigating the facts underlying your injury to obtain evidence we can use to prove that your repetitive stress injury developed at work
- Documenting your injuries, medical expenses, lost income, and other losses to ensure we pursue maximum financial recovery for you
- Evaluating your legal options, including workers’ compensation claims, NY Labor Law suits, and third-party personal injury claims
- Communicating with your employer, insurers, and other responsible parties on your behalf to seek the compensation you need for your repetitive stress injury, whether through a settlement or by filing formal workers’ compensation claims and personal injury lawsuits
Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free case review. Let’s discuss how a repetitive strain injury lawyer from our firm can fight for the compensation and support you need to treat and rehab your injury caused by repetitive movements.