NYC Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a car accident by a drunk driver caused in New York City, you may be able to hold the drunk driver responsible for their reckless conduct. You could be eligible for compensation for your injuries and related losses from the crash. But pursuing money for catastrophic injuries can quickly become a complex, time-consuming process.
Get the legal support and advocacy you need from a New York City drunk driving accident lawyer at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.
Reach out to us for a free initial case evaluation. You’ll get to speak with a drunk driving accident attorney from our firm about your options for pursuing justice for your injuries and losses. Let us help you hold the drunk driver and other at-fault parties accountable for their wrongdoing.
Why You Need Our NYC Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers on Your Side
After a drunk driver causes an accident that injured you, you need experienced and dedicated legal representation to help you demand the money you need from the drunk driver and the insurance companies. Accident victims choose the NYC drunk driving accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., because:
- We have a proven record of success for people with catastrophic injuries, having recovered over half a billion dollars in compensation for our clients.
- We have more than 40 years of legal experience fighting for our clients’ rights, including representing clients in some groundbreaking cases that have changed the laws in New York for the benefit of accident victims.
- We have a team of seasoned trial litigators, backed by a deep roster of industry-leading experts and extensive resources that allow us to take on the hardest cases – and win.
- We have a stellar reputation among our peers in the legal industry, and many attorneys refer their toughest injury cases to our firm.
- We strive to make you our top priority and to handle every detail of your drunk driving accident claim so you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery.
Is Drunk Driving an Issue in NYC?
The New York State Police reported that more than 30 percent of fatal motor vehicle accidents in New York State involve an intoxicated driver. In addition, 14 percent of alcohol-related fatal accidents in New York involve a driver under 21.
According to the New York City Department of Transportation, traffic fatalities caused by intoxicated drivers have risen in the past few years. Forty-three fatalities occurred in alcohol-related motor vehicle accidents in NYC in one recent year – a 60 percent increase over the prior three-year average of 27 deaths.
How to Spot a Driver Under the Influence
Intoxicated drivers may engage in many different telltale signs of drunk or drugged driving, such as:
- Aggressive acceleration or braking
- Making multiple illegal turns or maneuvers
- Weaving back and forth across the road
- Drifting in and out of the traffic lane
- Unnecessary or erratic braking
- Driving over the center line or median
- Driving somewhere not intended for vehicles, such as on the sidewalk or through a lawn
- Driving into the opposing lanes of traffic
- Hitting or nearly hitting another vehicle, the curb, or an object
- Turning abruptly
- Turning in the opposite direction from the driver’s turn signal
- Driving well below the speed limit
- Failing to keep pace with traffic
- Gradually slowing down and then speeding back up
- Driving with headlights off at night
- Delayed response to traffic signals, such as hard braking at a red light or stop sign, or delayed start at a green light
How Dangerous Are Drunk Driving Accidents?
Intoxication from alcohol or drugs can slow a driver’s reaction times, impair their perception, alter their judgment, and lower their inhibitions. As a result, drunk drivers frequently drive recklessly and do not react in time to avoid collisions with other vehicles or people.
Drunk driving accidents often involve crashes, such as:
- Head-on collisions after a drunk driver crosses the center line or median
- Side-impact or T-bone collisions after a drunk driver runs a red light or a stop sign
- Rear-end collisions caused by a drunk driver tailgating another vehicle or failing to brake for slowed or stopped traffic
- Rollover accidents caused by a high-speed collision between a drunk driver and another vehicle
Drunk driving car crashes can lead to innocent victims suffering serious or potentially life-threatening injuries, such as:
- Fractured bones
- Ligament, tendon, and muscle tears
- Nerve damage
- Herniated spinal discs
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Facial injuries, including eye damage, dental damage, and vision loss
- Traumatic brain injuries and whiplash
- Traumatic amputation or limb loss
- Burns caused by post-accident vehicle fires
- Degloving injuries (an injury in which skin tears away from the underlying muscle and bone)
What Compensation Can Be Recovered for the Victims of a DUI Driver?
A drunk driving accident victim could have the right to pursue financial recovery for the expenses and losses incurred due to the accident. Compensation in an NYC drunk driving lawsuit could include:
- Costs of medical treatment for injuries, including hospital care, surgeries, prescriptions, and physical rehab
- Costs of long-term care and support for permanent disabilities that result from injuries
- Loss of income due to missed work or the need to go on modified duty during your recovery
- Loss of future earning ability and employment benefits if permanent disabilities prevent you from returning to the workforce
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma, including reduced enjoyment and quality of life
- Reimbursement of car repair expenses or the value of your totaled vehicle
You may also be eligible for an award of punitive damages in a drunk driving lawsuit. As the name suggests, punitive damages punish a drunk driver for egregious conduct and serve as a deterrent to dissuade others from similar behavior.
Who Could Be Liable for a Drunk Driving Crash in NYC?
In most cases, a drunk driver will be liable if they made a mistake that caused the accident or if the driver is deemed negligent by law for committing a DUI. However, other parties, in addition to the intoxicated driver, could also have liability for a drunk driving crash.
Under New York’s Dram Shop Act, a bar, restaurant, or another establishment may have liability for a drunk driving accident caused by a driver who consumed alcohol unlawfully served by the establishment. A bar or restaurant may not legally serve alcoholic beverages to a person under 21 or a visibly intoxicated person. Thus, if a bar or restaurant serves an underage or visibly intoxicated patron who leaves the establishment and causes an accident, the bar or restaurant may have liability to the injured victims of the crash.
New York’s social host law also imposes liability for drunk driving accidents on adult social hosts and homeowners who knowingly serve alcohol to a person under 21 who leaves the home and causes a drunk driving accident.
Contact Our New York City Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
You should not bear the financial consequences of a drunk-driving car crash someone else caused. Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about your legal rights. Let us handle the claims process to obtain the money you need for your physical, financial, and emotional recovery.