New York City Elevator Accident Lawyers
Each year, approximately 17,000 people sustain injuries and 30 people die as a result of accidents on escalators or elevators. Of these, elevators cause a disproportionate number: approximately 90% of the deaths and 60% of the injuries. Many of these accidents occur when elevators are being installed or repaired, resulting in workmen being injured or killed.
Elevator accidents can happen anywhere, to anyone, including but not limited to:
- Guests to hotels
- Office buildings
Call (212) 577-9325 for your free consultation.
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., Can Fight For You
If you or a loved one is harmed in an elevator accident, you may have the right to obtain compensation. An experienced New York City elevator accident lawyer at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can help you understand your legal options and pursue a claim to maximize the money you may be able to receive. We’ve recovered over half a billion dollars for our clients; we know how to recover just compensation!
Who Is At Risk for Elevator Accidents?
Anyone who uses an elevator in any public place or private establishment is potentially at risk of getting hurt. However, statistics show that there are certain situations where people are more likely to be hurt on elevators.
- Workers who repair or install elevators: Around 50% of deaths on elevators occur when workers fall down an elevator shaft or are caught in moving parts.
- Employees who ride elevators daily at work: over 25% of all elevator-caused fatalities happen to office workers who ride elevators in their building.
- The elderly: According to Today’s Geriatric Medicine, around 44,870 older adults sustained injuries in elevators that were serious enough to require a hospital visit. Many senior citizens get hurt because walkers and canes become trapped in closing doors.
Taking Legal Action After an Elevator Accident in NYC
When an elevator accident happens, there are a number of potential avenues that an injured victim can take in order to secure compensation.
For example, if you or a loved one has been hurt, you could:
- File a workers’ compensation claim: This is a possible course of action both for those who work on elevator repair / installation as well as for anyone who gets hurt on an elevator in their office building.
- File a premises liability claim: The owner or operator of the property could potentially be legally liable for damages if they failed to maintain the elevator properly and warn users of the existing hazards.
- File a product liability claim: If the elevator or its parts malfunctioned, legal action could be taken against the company that manufactured defective elevators.
In some cases, it may be possible to pursue multiple methods of obtaining compensation. For example, you may be able to file both a workers’ compensation claim and a product liability lawsuit. An experienced New York City elevator accident attorney from our firm can help you understand all of your options.
Free Consultation with an NYC Personal Injury Attorney
At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., our experienced attorneys have helped many clients pursue injury claims with success for decades. Our award-winning attorneys have been recognized to the list of Super Lawyers®, are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, and have been named top attorneys by New York Magazine. We are ready to use our legal experience to help you understand your options, pursue your claim, and obtain the maximum in monetary compensation after your elevator accident.
To learn more about how we can assist with your case, contact us today to schedule your free consultation. Call (212) 577-9325.