$675,000 $675 Thousand
$2,700,000 $2.7 Million
$15,208,168** $15.2 Million
Construction Worker Fell from a Ladder: Jury Verdict.
$12,000,000 $12 Million
Union driver was injured in a fall off of a ladder that was attached to a truck container.
$11,899,469*** $11.9 Million
Union Worker Fell from a Scaffold
$11,000,000 $11 Million
$10,000,000 $10 Million
Laborer fell from a suspended scaffold. Case settled after jury verdict for $10,000,000.
$9,900,000 $9.9 Million
Settlement for Union laborer who fell from a rolling scaffold.
$9,825,000 $9.8 Million
Construction worker/laborer fell from the scaffold, jury verdict.
$9,359,622 $9.4 Million
Jury verdict for mason worker who fell two floors from the side of a building.
Struck by Falling Object Attorney in NYC
Millions Recovered for Injured Construction Workers
As many trades and projects require workers to perform jobs from heights, falling objects are an ever-present concern on construction sites. Whether it is a tool, building material, or piece of debris, a falling object can cause debilitating injuries that put people out of work and pile on many expenses.
If you have been injured by a falling object on a construction site in New York City – whether as a worker or a pedestrian – you may be entitled to compensation.
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. has championed the rights of injured workers for over 40 years, and has recovered more than half a billion in compensation for our clients. Our New York City attorneys can review your accident and discuss your options for a financial recovery during a FREE consultation.
Proven Results in Construction Accident Claims
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. has earned national recognition among U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” for our work in personal injury and workers’ compensation. We know the acts of negligence and statutory and regulatory violations that cause preventable accidents and how to help our clients navigate their path toward full and deserved compensation.
Over the years, our firm has secured hundreds of millions for construction accident victims, as well as numerous verdicts and settlements of $1 million dollars or more.
Examples of our falling object case results:
- $12 million for union teamster struck by angle iron which caused him to fall off a ladder
- $7.9 million for union dockworker struck by two-ton block being hoisted
- $3.3 million for a 54-year-old cement worker struck by a falling piece of plywood.
- $3.2 million settlement for the family of a carpenter struck by a falling metal plate from a hoist.
- $2.5+ million verdict for a worker struck on the head by a brick that fell from the fifth-story of a Manhattan building.
- $1.35 million for a labor foreman struck by a falling angle iron.
Falling Object Hazards on Construction Sites
Though there are many risks on construction sites, those involving falling items are among the most concerning. Classified by OSHA among its “Fatal Four” – alongside falls from heights, electrocution, and caught between objects – struck-by / falling object accidents are associated with thousands of serious and fatal injuries each year.
In the construction industry, falling object accidents can involve an array of projects, objects, and failures, including:
- Falling building materials, including metal, masonry, and metal fittings.
- Falling tools or equipment, including hand tools, power tools, and pneumatics.
- Objects that fall from hoists, cranes, scaffolding, and forklifts.
- Falling debris from demolition projects.
Because falling objects are such a major risk on construction sites in New York City, there are an abundance of workplace safety regulations and laws that require employers, contractors, and property owners to take steps that protect against injuries stemming from these hazards. This can include requirements to:
- Provide proper PPE, including hard hats and head protection.
- Properly brace and secure objects and materials to prevent them from falling
- Use catch platforms and safety nets to save people from being struck by falling objects
- Ensure workers are trained, certified, and properly supervised in the use of hoists, forklifts, and cranes.
- Cease the use of cranes and other machinery in high-wind or inclement conditions.
- Address potential hazards on premises that can cause or contribute to falling object accidents.
Having handled numerous construction accident claims, our NYC lawyers understand the risks of falling objects and the need to help injured workers hold at-fault parties accountable. We perform in-depth investigations into our clients’ accidents to identify potential violations that may give rise to liability. This can include violations of:
- NY Labor Law 240, which applies to gravity related hazards including falling objects and people falling from heights.
- NY Labor Law 241, which allows workers to sue owners, contractors, and others for Industrial Code violations involving specific unsafe conditions or practices.
- NY Labor Law 200, which concerns claims against site owners or contractors who fail to provide safe workplaces.
Do I File for Workers’ Compensation or File a Lawsuit After a Falling Object Accident?
- Workers’ Compensation: Workers injured on the job are entitled to benefits provided through their workers’ compensation insurance regardless of who is at fault. Workers’ compensation can include medical benefits, wage supplementation, and vocational rehabilitation.
- Civil Injury Lawsuits: In some cases, particularly those involving accidents caused by negligent third parties or violations of the NY Labor law, injured construction workers may have the right to file a civil personal injury lawsuit against at-fault parties including owners and contractors. Personal injury suits offer an opportunity to recover compensation that is otherwise unavailable or insufficient under workers’ compensation, such as damages for pain and suffering and all of a worker’s past lost wages and future lost earnings.
How you go about seeking compensation for your injuries will depend on the facts of your accident. However, even if you are entitled to bring a civil personal injury claim, you can still receive workers’ compensation while your civil case is pending.
Because our firm handles both workers’ compensation and personal injury claims for our construction accident clients, we can help determine your options for pursuing the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys handle all aspects of these cases, including discussion of any workers’ compensation liens or credits when workers pursue both workers’ compensation and civil damages.
Request a FREE Review of Your NYC Falling Object Accident Claim
While regulations concerning falling object risks and worker protections may seem clear, there are many opportunities for employers, contractors, and responsible parties to evade accountability or pay less than victims deserve, especially when they do not have adequate legal representation.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a struck-by / falling object accident anywhere in New York City, our award-winning attorneys at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. can help you level the playing field with corporations that care more about profits than people.