New York CityForklift Accident Lawyer
Millions Recovered for Construction Accident Victims
Were Your Involved in a New York Forklift Accident?
Forklifts are used widely in construction and industrial settings for many essential tasks. They are large and powerful machines capable of lifting large loads overhead, but are also among the most dangerous pieces of equipment on worksites.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a forklift accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is known for our work representing injured construction workers, including those injured in accidents involving forklifts and other heavy machinery. We are available to help you explore your rights and how we can fight for the compensation you deserve.
Put decades of construction accident experience on your side. Call to request a FREE case review with a New York City forklift accident attorney.
Proven Results in Construction Accidents Cases
Examples of our results:
- $15.2 million verdict for a Union sheet metal worker who fell from an A frame ladder.
- $11.89 million verdict for a Union worker who fell from a suspension scaffold.
- $9.4 million settlement for a Union laborer who fell from a rolling scaffold.
- $6 million settlement for a Union crane operator injured in a slip and fall.
- $2.53 million verdict for a construction worker struck by falling brick.
- $2 million settlement for a torch operator struck by Bobcat on demolition site.
Can I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Forklift Accident?
While workers’ compensation is often the exclusive remedy for victims injured on the job, there are situations where workers have the right to file civil personal injury lawsuits against at-fault parties other than their employer. For example, injured workers may be eligible to file a civil claim over:
- Third-party negligence, including the negligence of premises owners or product manufacturers.
- Violations of NY Labor Law 200, which requires site owners and contractors to exercise reasonable care to provide safe worksites and ensure the safe operation of machinery used on projects.
- Violations of NY Labor Law 240, which provides for strict liability against owners and contractors and their agents for their failure to provide proper protection to workers working from heights and other gravity-related risks.
- Violations of NY Labor Law 241(6), which requires contractors and construction owners to provide reasonable and adequate protection and safety to workers on construction, demolition, and excavation sitesand provides for liability when they violate specific sections of the New York State Industrial Code.
Filing a personal injury claim after a forklift accident can greatly expand the scope of recoverable damages for victims. Though workers’ compensation benefits are typically limited to medical benefit and a percentage of lost wages (disability), personal injury lawsuits allow victims to recover full financial compensation for their damages.
Damages you may be entitled to in a personal injury suit include:
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- Past and future medical bills and costs of lifetime care
- Emotional anguish and lost quality of life
- Spousal loss of consortium
The relationship between workers’ compensation and personal injury can be complex, and a civil recovery can entitle workers’ comp insurers to reimbursement of a percentage any paid benefits. For these reasons, you should have a qualified lawyer evaluate your potential claim and the best path to resolution.
At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., our award-winning lawyers have decades of experience representing clients in matters of workers’ compensation and personal injury, and can help you navigate how to best pursue the financial recovery you deserve.
Attorney David Perecman Weighs in on Forklift Accidents
Forklift accidents account for many thousands of severe injuries and a large number of deaths each year in the United States, many of which are preventable.
According to OSHA, nearly 85 workers are killed and another 34,900 are seriously injured in powered industrial truck accidents each year in the United States. An estimated 20 to 25 percent of the accidents are caused in part by inadequate training.
Forklift accidents can be caused by factors such as:
- Improper training of forklift operators
- Poor forklift maintenance
- How fast workers are pressured to perform their tasks
- Unsafe workplace design for forklift operation
- Vehicles traveling too fast
- Poorly stacked or unstable pallets
- Heavy loads
According to Attorney David Perecman, “Forklifts are extremely useful, but there is great risk of injury or death if a forklift is operated in an unsafe manner. Improperly trained workers put their lives in danger. Experienced employees can be affected by inadequate training, as well. Responsible employers know the rules and take the time to educate their workforce. A lawyer can help investigate the accident to see what workplace safety measures were in employed at the time of the accident, and if they met the requirements of OSHA or New York State law.”
Call for a FREE Consultation
Our forklift accident attorneys in NYC represent victims across all five boroughs and beyond, and have the resources and experience to help you through these difficult times.
If you have questions about your rights and options, please call to request a FREE case evaluation.