New York City Rollover Car Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a rollover accident in New York City, you understand how terrifying and devastating these accidents can be. If another party’s negligence caused the accident, you might also be frustrated and angry. Why must you suffer because of someone else’s wrongdoing? The answer is that you should not.
The car accident attorneys at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve from the at-fault driver. We are committed to advocating for accident victims in New York and will stop at nothing to get you the support you need during this challenging time.
Contact The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today to speak with a New York rollover car accident lawyer. Consultations are free and come with no obligation. Let us fight for you.
What Is Considered a Rollover Accident?
A rollover accident occurs when a vehicle tips over on its side or top during an accident. Rollover accidents may involve only one rollover action or several. They may result from a collision with another vehicle, a stationary object, or no collision.
While rollover accidents are less common, they often result in catastrophic injuries and even death. According to an analysis conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), rollover accidents accounted for only 3 percent of all passenger vehicle accidents but 20 percent of fatal accidents.
Common Causes of Rollover Car Accidents in NYC
You might be wondering, how do cars flip over? Some of the most common causes of rollover car accidents in New York City include:
- Sharp turns – Sharp turns, especially if taken at high speed, can destabilize a vehicle and cause it to roll over.
- Poor roadway conditions – Poor roadway conditions from inclement weather, construction, or debris can increase the risk of rollover accidents.
- Wet roads – Wet roads will cause tires to lose traction, increasing the risk of a rollover car crash.
- T-bones – Cars are less stable laterally than longitudinally, and when a vehicle is struck on this axis, the force and velocity may cause it to overturn.
- Top-heavy vehicles – Vehicles with a higher center of gravity are more likely to experience rollover accidents. According to the NHTSA study, the vehicles most likely to be involved in rollovers were SUVs and pickup trucks. In one year, 6 percent of SUVs and 4 percent of pickup trucks involved in crashes rolled over, whereas only 2 percent of cars did.
- Overcorrection – Drivers who over-correct to avoid a roadway hazard or running off the road may cause their vehicles to overturn. According to the NHTSA study, nearly half of single-vehicle rollovers were preceded by the driver’s attempt to avoid a collision by executing a sharp driving maneuver.
- Drunk driving – Rollover accidents are more likely to happen if a driver has an elevated blood alcohol content level.
- High speeds – According to the NHTSA data, most rollover accidents occur on roads where the speed limit is 55 mph or greater, making speed a contributing factor in many rollovers.
Common Injuries in Rollover Car Crashes
Car rollover injuries are generally traumatic and severe, often resulting in long-term effects and serious financial strain. Common injuries suffered by victims of rollover car crashes include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Cuts and lacerations
- Neck injuries
- Spinal injuries
How Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
After a rollover accident, you may wonder where you can turn for help. Look no further than The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. Our attorneys have significant experience representing victims of rollover car crashes. We can guide you through the aftermath with compassion and resolve.
Rollover accident victims in New York must navigate the confusing no-fault insurance system. Under this system, accident victims must file a claim with their own personal injury protection (PIP) insurance policy within 30 days to recover limited coverage for their medical expenses and lost wages.
Without a strong advocate, you might leave compensation on the table. That’s because New York’s no-fault system does not allow compensation for pain and suffering and other non-economic losses. However, many rollover accident injuries are severe enough to meet the “serious injury” threshold, allowing a victim to step outside of the no-fault system and file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver.
You likely qualify if you suffered any of the following:
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of use of body organ, member, function, or system
- Permanent limitation of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of use of a body function or system
- Injury or impairment that prevents you from performing your regular activities for more than 90 days
A rollover accident attorney with our firm can evaluate your legal options and pursue the most promising path for maximizing your compensation.
Statute of Limitations in NYC
If you suffered a serious injury in a rollover accident in New York City that was not your fault, you can pursue compensation from the at-fault party – but you must act quickly. Under New York’s statute of limitations, victims have just three years from the date of an accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Three years might seem like a long time, but when it comes to legal matters, three years can fly by while you prepare a personal injury claim. If the at-fault vehicle is driven by a government employee or government-owned, your time limits will be much shorter. You and your attorney must:
- Gather evidence to prove that the at-fault driver’s negligent actions caused the accident.
- Identify and interview eyewitnesses of the accident to back up your claim.
- Consult with medical experts to understand the severity of your injuries and your long-term medical needs.
- Prepare the legal documentation for a personal injury claim.
- Deal with the insurance companies, which may be reluctant to offer a fair settlement.
- File a personal injury claim with the appropriate court.
- Take your case to trial and jury verdict
Contact Our Experienced Lawyers Today
If you’re struggling in the aftermath of a rollover car crash in New York, The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can lift the burden from your shoulders by handling your accident claim on your behalf. We know how to deal with the complicated New York insurance system and seek maximum compensation for our clients.
Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our rollover crash attorneys in New York.