Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
An injury from an accident can turn your life upside down in the blink of an eye. Regardless of how you were hurt, you are entitled to demand compensation if someone else’s negligence was to blame.
The Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., are here to defend accident victims’ rights. Our lawyers have more than 40 years of legal experience and over half a billion dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for clients in Brooklyn and across New York.
We have helped our clients recover fair compensation for a wide range of injury accidents, working diligently to earn our reputation for excellence. To learn more about how we can help you with your case, contact our office for a free initial consultation with a compassionate Brooklyn personal injury lawyer.
What Do You Have To Prove in a Personal Injury Case?
The basic legal principle behind personal injury cases is the concept of negligence. Someone is considered negligent under the law if they fail to take reasonable precautions to avoid injuring others.
A common example of negligence is in drunk driving accidents. Driving while impaired compromises someone’s ability to safely handle their vehicle. By choosing to drink and drive, an impaired driver has not considered the safety of other drivers. They could be found negligent if they cause an accident.
Why Trust Your Case to Our Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys?
With so many lawyers to choose from in New York, why come to The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.? Here are a few strengths that set our lawyers apart from those at other personal injury firms:
- More than 40 years of experience — The more time a personal injury attorney spends in court or negotiating with insurance companies, the better they understand the subtle details that can make or break a case. Our lawyers have extensive experience after representing accident victims for over four decades.
- Over $500 million recovered for our clients — Every dollar counts if you have been involved in a serious accident. That’s why we are committed to helping our clients recover maximum compensation. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., we have helped our clients recover more than half a billion dollars in compensation.
- Peer recognition — We are proud of the many awards we have received for being fierce advocates for our clients. Among other honors, founding attorney David Perecman has been named the 2022 “Lawyer of the Year” in the Long Island area by Best Lawyers®. We are also members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, an elite organization of personal injury lawyers who have won multi-million dollar settlements or jury verdicts.
- Customer service — We know that being injured can be devastating and life-altering. As an award-winning, full-service law firm, we make you our top priority while you focus on your healing and recovery.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our Brooklyn personal injury attorneys are equipped to handle many different types of cases, including the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents — Whether you were injured in a crash with a car, motorcycle, or large truck, we can help show the other driver was negligent. Our firm also has extensive experience with bicycle and pedestrian accident cases.
- Premises accidents — Many people suffer injuries in slip-and-falls or other accidents because a negligent property owner failed to maintain the premises. We can help prove the property owner was negligent and demonstrate why you should receive compensation for your injuries.
- Construction accidents — If you were injured while working on or passing through a construction site, we can help you file a workers’ compensation claim or personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for your injuries.
- Workers’ compensation — Although workers’ compensation exists to help injured employees cover their medical bills and lost wages, many employers try to deny injured workers the benefits they are fairly owed. We can help you file a workers’ compensation claim after an accident and assist with any appeals if your claim is denied.
- Work Injuries – If you were injured in a workplace accident, you could have several options for pursuing financial compensation for your medical care, lost income, and more.
- Product liability — Sadly, many people are injured by everyday products that were marketed improperly or have defects. If you have been injured by a defective product, we can help you hold the company behind it responsible.
- Medical malpractice — Research shows medical errors may be the third leading cause of death nationwide. We have the experience and knowledge to hold negligent doctors and medical facilities accountable for their negligence.
What Is Your Personal Injury Case Worth?
Until an attorney has a chance to review the facts of your case, it’s difficult to determine what a personal injury claim may be worth. However, you can seek potential compensation for many kinds of losses through a personal injury lawsuit, including the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Damaged personal property
Time Limit on Injury Claims in New York
The general statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in New York is three years from the date of the accident. However, there are shorter deadlines for certain cases, such as claims against the government. It’s a good idea to speak to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to give you enough time to build your case and collect evidence.
How Our Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
If you have been injured in an accident, you don’t need the additional stress of dealing with your personal injury case. Here are a few ways our lawyers can help you:
- Reviewing the facts of the case — Before you proceed with a personal injury claim, it’s important to know if you have a possible case and what it might be worth. Our attorneys can review the accident with you and advise whether it’s worth pursuing a personal injury case.
- Gathering evidence — It takes a lot of evidence to prove negligence in a personal injury case and recover maximum compensation. Our highly trained attorneys and investigators know exactly what to look for and can help you build a strong case for compensation.
- Filing your claim — All the paperwork must be filed correctly and on time. We can assist with this and other administrative duties as part of your case.
- Negotiating a settlement — Insurance settlement negotiations are an art that we have a lot of practice with. We know how to fight against insurance companies’ tactics to protect your rights and maximize your compensation.
- Taking your case to court — Most personal injury cases do not reach the trial stage. But if a trial becomes necessary, we have extensive courtroom experience that we can apply to your case. Some of our groundbreaking cases have helped influence the law to better address victims’ rights.
Steps To Protect Your Rights After an Accident
Here are a few steps to take to protect your right to compensation if you’re in an accident:
- Document the accident scene as best you can.
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible and closely follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Hold on to all your medical records and proof of lost income.
- Do not give any recorded statements to insurance companies until you have spoken to a lawyer.
- Stay off social media to avoid jeopardizing your case.
- Talk to a personal injury lawyer in Brooklyn as soon as possible.
Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Some of the common major injuries we see after accidents in Brooklyn include the following:
Our Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys Have a Record of Results
We are proud of our results on behalf of our clients. These are just a few of our notable victories:
- $40 million settlement on behalf of a child who suffered brain damage due to birth injuries
- $15 million jury verdict for a sheet metal worker who fell from a ladder
- $12 million settlement when a union driver fell off of a ladder attached to a truck container
- $11 million jury verdict on behalf of a construction worker who suffered a back injury after falling from scaffolding
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., is here to stand up and fight for you if you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence. We help people rebuild their lives after injury accidents and are ready to stand up for you. Contact our office today for a free initial consultation with one of our experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers.