New York City Car Accident Attorney
NYC Car Accident Lawyers with Over Half a Billion Dollars Won for Clients
Were You Involved in a New York Auto Accident?
New York roads can be dangerous for motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists alike. When heavy traffic is paired with poor driving, negligent drivers can cause crashes that result in devastating injuries and losses.
If you or someone you love were injured in a car accident in NYC, you may be entitled to a financial recovery of your damages. To secure full and fair compensation, however, you’ll need to navigate a complex system and contend with powerful insurance companies that care more about profits than people.
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. has the resources and experience to help fight for the money you deserve.
Why People Trust Our Team
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is a nationally recognized trial practice that fights for victims and families. We know the importance of securing a fair recovery after a car crash and have been trusted by clients and colleagues across NYC for decades to do just that. The reasons are clear:
- We’ve recovered over half a billion in compensation for clients.
- Our firm is a U.S. News “Best Law Firms” Tier 1-rated personal injury practice.
- Our attorneys have been recognized by Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America®.
Recovering compensation after a car wreck can be complicated, and insurance companies work hard to pay victims as little as possible. The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. can help you level the playing field and fight for the financial recovery you deserve. Call (212) 577-9325 to request a FREE consultation.
NYC Car Accident Statistics
According to NYPD crash data, there were over 270,000 car accidents in NYC in 2018 and over 206,000 in 2019. In 2020, amid the full swing of the pandemic, there were 110,000 crashes resulting in injury or death citywide. Despite the nearly 50% drop, that still an average of over 300 crashes per day.
A NYPD report from July 2021 shows some boroughs are more dangerous than others. Reported injury or fatal collisions through the first half of 2021:
- Brooklyn: 3,168
- Queens: 2,690
- Bronx: 1,771
- Manhattan: 1,645
- Staten Island: 505
The dangers of New York City roads make it vital that motorists pay attention and obey traffic laws. Unfortunately, many fail to uphold their duty to drive safely. As shown by the same NYPD data, the leading contributing factors in crashes were driver distraction, following too closely, failure to yield right-of-way, improper lane use, unsafe speeds, and passing too closely.
Understanding New York Car Accident Laws
New York is a no-fault state, which means every auto accident victim can have some of his or her medical bills and lost wages covered by insurance — regardless of who was to blame for the crash. However, individuals who suffer serious injuries or lose loved ones in fatal crashes may also be able to pursue additional compensation through a personal injury or wrongful death action.
Under NY law, every driver is required to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. PIP coverage helps cover medical bills and lost wages after a car crash, no matter who is to blame. While PIP provides important protections, it only offers coverage for bills and lost wages up to the limits set forth in the terms of the policy.
PIP provides NO compensation for:
- Medical expenses beyond policy limits
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress
- Wrongful death damages
Money obtained through PIP may pale in comparison to what victims can recover in civil personal injury cases, but it can still be a vital resource in the aftermath of crashes while injury claims are pending. Our team helps accident victims whom we represent for car accident liability claims with their necessary application for no-fault benefits with the appropriate insurance companies.
In addition, if you are injured in a car accident and suffer a serious injury under the law, you may be able to bring a civil claim or lawsuit for other damages not available under no-fault (PIP) insurance.
Recoverable Damages in Auto Accident Claims
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and future lost earnings and benefits
- Loss of consortium / companionship
- Wrongful death damages including loss of financial support and care and guidance.
Our Car Accident Settlements & Verdicts
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. has recovered over half a billion dollars for clients across NYC and the state of New York, and millions in compensation for victims of auto accidents. Some examples of our results:
- $12 million settlement for a union teamster driver who suffered multiple injuries after falling from fixed ladder attached to the side of truck.
- $11 million settlement for a worker injured in an accident involving a truck.
- $5.4 million jury verdict for a woman who sustained serious injuries when her vehicle was struck by another vehicle and jackknifed truck.
- $4.5 million settlement for an injured road worker struck by a passing vehicle.
- $2 million settlement for a torch operator injured by a construction vehicle (Bobcat loader).
- $1.8 million recovery for a client injured after rear-ending another vehicle.
- $1.5 million verdict for a woman injured by a commercial tractor-trailer.
- $1.25 million settlement for a passenger who suffered spine injuries in a car accident.
- $1.25 million mediated settlement for a victim who suffered back injuries when a commercial truck entered her lane, struck her vehicle, and caused her to crash into a parked car.
- $1.2 million recovery for asbestos worker struck by SUV.
Pursuing a Car Accident Injury Claim
Unexpected injuries and untimely losses can upend lives. Fortunately, victims injured in car crashes have the ability to seek a financial recovery of their damages from those at fault.
To obtain compensation in a car accident injury claim, you need to prove:
- The other driver had a duty to be careful on the roads.
- The driver was negligent and breached the duty of care.
- The driver’s negligence was the direct cause of your wreck.
- You were harmed because of this accident and suffered damages.
In addition, in New York you must meet one of the following requirements to bring a liability claim or lawsuit for a car accident:
- You suffered a serious injury under the no-fault law – to recover for pain and suffering; or
- You suffered greater than $50,000 in combined lost wages or benefits
We conduct in-depth investigations and discovery to gather evidence that can prove these elements. This includes police reports, witness statements, medical records, and expert testimony from medical, economic, and accident reconstruction specialists. We then leverage our experience to help clients negotiate fair settlements or fight aggressively in court when defendants refuse to accept responsibility.
Whether you were in a head-on collision or a fender bender, we are prepared to guide you through this difficult time. We represent clients throughout NYC and beyond, and handle a range of claims.
- Commercial truck accidents
- Construction zone auto accidents
- Bus & MTA accidents
- Pedestrian, bicyclist, and motorcycle crashes
- UM / UIM accidents
- Taxi, limo, and Uber / Lyft accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
If your crash and injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence, you may have the right to pursue a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit to recover your damages. Our NYC car accident attorneys can review your case and discuss how we may be able to help fight for the compensation you deserve.
Get Answers to Your Car Accident Questions
What should I do if I am involved in an accident?
It’s always important to report your accident to the police, no matter how minor it may have been. You should also go to the hospital or a doctor right away as there are many times injuries that are not immediately obvious due to shock and spasm. Make sure to write down the contact information and names of witnesses to the crash and get a copy of the other driver’s information form from the police officer at the scene. If possible and safe, take pictures of the damage to the vehicles and scene of the accident. You should also contact your insurance company to inform them of the collision.
Should I report the accident to my insurance company?
If you do not report the accident in a timely manner, the insurance company may deny payment of any claims you file subsequently. You must file an application for no-fault benefits with the appropriate insurance company within 30 days of the date of accident. If you are a driver or passenger, this would be the insurance company of the vehicle you were in. If you are a pedestrian, this would be the insurance company of the vehicle that struck you.
When will the insurance company get back to me?
New York law requires insurance adjusters to acknowledge receipt of your claim within 15 business days. They must also start an investigation within 15 business days. Once they complete their investigation, they have 15 days to notify you of whether they are accepting or denying liability.
Do I have to let my insurer know about the accident if the accident was not my fault?
Yes, you need to inform your insurance company of the accident even if you weren't at fault, especially for your claim for no-fault benefits which must be filed within 30 days of the date of accident.
What kind of coverage is my insurer required to provide?
New York is a no-fault automobile accident state. That means your insurance company is required to pay for your medical expenses up to a certain amount, depending on the policy you purchased. Certain limited lost wages may be covered. If your accident and injuries were caused by someone else, you may also have grounds to bring a civil claim against the at-fault party to recover additional losses such as pain and suffering and full medical expenses and lost earnings.
Do I still have a case if I received a traffic citation stating I was the cause of the accident?
If the accident was not completely your fault, you can still recover damages from the other driver for the portion of the accident that was his or her fault. New York allows injured parties to bring claims against others even if they were partially at fault. Discuss your case with an attorney to learn more about your rights.
Will I be able to file a personal injury claim for my car accident?
That depends. Auto accident cases are fact-specific and the unique circumstances surrounding yours must be evaluated by a qualified attorney in order to assess the merits of any potential claim. Generally, victims injured by negligence have the right to bring claims against the party or parties they allege to be at fault. However, New York requires those seeking compensation for pain and suffering to prove they suffered a serious injury under the No-Fault Insurance Law. Our attorneys can review your case and discuss if you have grounds to bring legal action.
Who can I hold responsible for my car accident?
That also depends on the individual facts of your case. Generally, personal injury claims are brought against the individuals and / or entities whose negligence more likely than not caused your injuries. While an attorney can help identify potentially liable parties in your crash, there are some examples:
- A negligent driver who violated traffic laws or otherwise failed to safely operate their vehicle.
- A commercial trucking company that hired unfit drivers or failed to comply with regulations.
- Automakers or product manufacturers responsible for defective products.
- Municipal entities responsible for collisions involving public transit.
- Premises owners responsible for unsafe road or property conditions.
- Drinking establishments that overserved intoxicated drivers (dram shop law).
- Municipal entities that caused your accident due to a negligently designed roadway.
Call for a FREE Consultation: (212) 577-9325
If another driver is to blame for your crash and you suffer serious or debilitating injuries, you should take action and pursue an injury claim with the help of a New York City car accident attorney. However, you have only a limited amount of time to make a claim after an accident happens, so be sure to take action right away.
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. offers FREE, no-risk consultations in person, over the phone, and via e-mail or video. Call or contact us online to request yours.
Over Half a Billion Recovered
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.'s team of NYC personal injury attorneys have recovered more than half a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements for their clients.See Our Results
Trusted Advocates in Your Time of Need
Our experienced legal team has been advocating for the rights of injured workers and individuals since 1983.Meet Our Team
An Active Voice in the News & Media
The attorneys at the Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C have been featured in ABC, The New York Times, CNN, NBC, CBS, New York Post, and more!View News Articles