Scarring and Disfigurement Attorney in NYC
If you have recently been injured in an accident, you might be more worried about the immediate effects than the long-term implications. But the scarring or disfigurement from an injury can significantly impact your life, your career, and your self-esteem. You deserve to be compensated for these consequences, just as you deserve to be compensated for medical expenses, lost income, and other more immediate concerns.
Let The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., help you demand the money you are owed from the person at fault for your scarring and disfigurement injuries. Our attorneys have more than 40 years of experience representing injured New Yorkers. We have recovered over half a billion dollars for our clients.
We stand ready to help you seek money for plastic surgery, mental health counseling, and the emotional trauma you have experienced. You will not owe us any fees unless and until you collect compensation for your injuries. We will not charge you anything for an initial consultation.
Contact us today to speak with a scarring and disfigurement lawyer in NYC.
The Impact of Scarring and Disfigurement Injuries
The physical, emotional, and financial effects of scarring and disfigurement can be significant. These effects often include:
- The need for reconstructive surgery – Plastic surgery is often necessary to repair scarring and disfigurement. These procedures are typically painful and expensive, though their effects can be priceless.
- Limited mobility – Scar tissue is much less flexible than unscarred skin, limiting mobility after an accident. People with severe scars may also experience intense pain with movement, even if their range of motion is mostly the same after an accident.
- Emotional distress – Sudden, unwanted changes in appearance can cause deep emotional pain. People with scars on their faces or other exposed parts of their bodies are more likely to experience psychological distress.
- Adverse career effects – Scarring and disfigurement can negatively impact someone’s career, especially if their appearance is an essential aspect of their job. For example, physical appearance is critical for people in the performing arts and people with sales jobs or other customer-facing roles.
Accidents Resulting in Disfigurement
Many kinds of accidents can leave victims scarred or disfigured, such as:
- Car accidents – Shards of glass can cause deep lacerations and leave severe scars after a collision. Car accident victims can also sustain scars from broken bones, fires, and jagged metal edges.
- Fires and explosions – Burns cause severe and painful scars, often over a large surface area. Burn injuries sometimes extend through a person’s skin, damaging muscle tissue and nerves.
- Dog bites and other animal attacks – Dogs and other animals have sharp teeth and claws that can rip apart the skin and other tissues. Depending on the extent of the damage, the effects of dog bites or other animal attacks can be challenging to repair.
- Bicycle accidents – The force of a collision with a motor vehicle can severely injure a bicyclist. They might suffer severe abrasions or lacerations from road rash after being ejected from the bicycle.
- Motorcycle accidents – Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable in collisions and can also suffer lacerations and abrasions from road rash if they are ejected from the motorcycle.
- Chemical exposure – Many chemicals found at home and in the workplace can cause severe burns on contact. One particular danger of chemical burns is that these substances do not always wash away easily.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians have nothing to protect them from the force of a collision with a motor vehicle. Consequently, they are highly vulnerable to fractures, lacerations, and abrasions that often cause scars.
- Electrical accidents – Electrical shocks can burn skin and other tissues from the inside out, leading to severe scarring and disfigurement.
- Slip-and-falls and other premises liability accidents – When property owners, management companies, or maintenance workers do not address hazards on the premises, they put visitors at risk. Landing hard after a fall can cause broken bones and other injuries that lead to scarring or disfigurement.
- Workplace accidents – Exposure to toxic chemicals, fires and explosions, machinery accidents, and other workplace hazards can all cause scarring and disfigurement.
What Damages Can You Claim for Scarring and Disfigurement in New York City?
If you have suffered disfiguring injuries after an accident, our scarring and disfigurement attorneys in New York can help you pursue compensation for:
- Medical costs related to treating and repairing your injuries
- The cost of mental health counseling necessitated by your injuries
- Your lost wages while you were healing
- Lost future income if your injuries impact your career
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
How to Build Records of a Scar or Disfigurement
You should take specific steps to build a record of the harm you have suffered, such as:
- Making sure your scars are prominently mentioned in your medical records
- Asking your doctor early on about treating or removing your scars
- Keeping a journal about how your injuries have impacted your daily life
- Saving all your bills and pay stubs to show how your injuries have affected you financially
Seeking Compensation for Your Disfigurement Injury
In most cases, your first option to recover compensation for a disfiguring injury is to file an insurance claim against whoever caused your injuries. That could be a driver who hit you, a negligent property owner, the manufacturer of a defective product, or another party. Our scarring and disfigurement injury lawyers can help you pursue as much compensation as possible.
If the liable party or their insurance company will not negotiate in good faith, you may need to take your case to court. Trials can be risky and expensive, but the risk and expense may be worth it so you can recover the money you need. Before you take your case to trial, talk to your lawyer to ensure it is the right move for your situation.
Contact Our Scarring and Disfigurement Lawyers in New York
You deserve compensation if someone else is liable for your scars and disfiguring injuries. Get in touch with The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., today for a free consultation with our New York City scarring and disfigurement attorneys.