NYC Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
When it comes to personal injury claims in New York City, catastrophic injuries are considered those that cause significant impairment, dismemberment, or loss of limb use.
A catastrophic injury can leave you with long-term physical, emotional, and financial hardships. You should not have to bear the burden of these hardships alone. Our experienced NYC catastrophic injury lawyers can help you demand the justice you’re owed.
At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., we have a lengthy track record of success handling all types of catastrophic injury cases and getting our clients the compensation they need to move forward. In fact, we have recovered over a half billion dollars for victims of catastrophic injuries in New York.
To discuss your legal options with one of our dedicated and knowledgeable NYC catastrophic accident attorneys, contact us today for a free consultation.
What Are Catastrophic Injury Cases in NYC?
There is no universally accepted definition of the term “catastrophic injury.” Rather, it’s a general term to describe an injury that has a substantial and long-lasting impact on a person’s life. Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries – This type of injury occurs when an external force causes your brain to bounce back and forth in your skull. Traumatic brain injuries can cause temporary or permanent changes in brain function, such as cognitive impairments, behavioral changes, and even physical disabilities.
- Spinal cord injuries – This type of injury occurs when there is damage to your spinal cord which can cause paralysis.
- Severe burn injuries – When you are exposed to extreme temperatures, electric currents, harsh chemicals, or radiation, severe burns can occur. Severe burns can result in extensive scarring, disfigurement, and permanent disabilities.
- Amputations – Losing a limb or part of a limb is incredibly traumatic. A catastrophic amputation can impair your mobility, your earning capacity, and even your ability to live independently.
- Neck injuries – This type of injury occurs when there is damage or strain upon the neck; often seen with whiplash injuries.
Why You Need Our Catastrophic Injury Law Firm on Your Side
With the right catastrophic injury attorney, you can confidently navigate the legal system and pursue the best outcome possible.
A catastrophic injury attorney from The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can:
- Explain your legal options
- Investigate the accident
- Document the extent of your injuries and related losses
- Negotiate with insurance companies
- Provide compassionate support
- Demand fair compensation
- Represent you in court if necessary
How our serious injury lawyers will fight for your rights!
How Do Catastrophic Injuries Happen?
Catastrophic injuries can occur for various reasons, but many come from sudden and severe trauma due to:
- Car crashes – Collisions are a common cause of catastrophic injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and severe burns.
- Slip and fall incidents – Slips, trips, and falls can lead to severe injuries like broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries.
- Workplace accidents – Workers in certain industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation, are particularly at risk of catastrophic on-the-job injuries.
- Defective products – Accidents related to dangerously defective products, like motor vehicles, heavy equipment, and even children’s products, can cause catastrophic injuries.
- Sports and recreational activities – Playing contact sports like football or hockey can lead to catastrophic injuries when accidents occur.
- Acts of violence – Victims of violent acts often require ongoing treatment for catastrophic injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and organ damage.
Ongoing Expenses for Catastrophic Injuries and Related Disabilities
Catastrophic injuries can result in ongoing expenses that lead to overwhelming financial difficulties. Examples of potential ongoing expenses from catastrophic injuries include:
- Medical care costs – A catastrophic injury often requires immediate and long-term treatment. As a result, you likely will have substantial medical costs for some time after the accident.
- Assistive devices and home modifications – You might need home accessibility modifications or costly assistive devices for certain catastrophic injuries, such as spinal cord injuries or amputations.
- Personal care and support expenses – If you cannot complete specific tasks independently, you might need help from home health aides, housekeeping services, or other support providers to conduct your day-to-day life.
- Emotional and psychological support costs – Catastrophic injuries are devastating, and many victims require emotional and psychological support from therapists, counselors, and psychiatrists.
Dealing with a Permanent Disability
For individuals who suffer serious spinal cord or traumatic brain injuries, it could result in a lifelong disability. This is an unfortunate reality for a number of accident victims. Many of these individuals will file lawsuits against the liable party, but it isn’t always enough. This is where Social Security Disability (SSD) Insurance works for individuals who have been permanently disabled after an injury. A serious injury can take away your ability to work and earn an income. Securing this kind of compensation can help you and your family.
Potential Compensation for a Catastrophic Injury
If you suffer a catastrophic injury because of someone else’s actions, you should not have to bear the financial burden of their negligence. In New York, you can file a catastrophic injury claim to pursue compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Home accessibility modifications
- Caregiver expenses
Time Limits for Filing a Claim in New York
In New York, you generally have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. However, the time limit differs for some instances, such as medical malpractice claims or claims against government entities. If you fail to file your lawsuit on time, you could lose your right to demand compensation. You should consult a catastrophic injury attorney as soon as possible to avoid costly delays and filing errors.
In any event, the sooner you contact our catastrophic injury lawyers, the better. Starting an investigation earlier in the process could allow us to recover evidence before it disappears and talk to eyewitnesses before their memories fade.
What To Do If You Were Severely Injured In NYC
If you suffer a catastrophic injury, you should take the following steps to protect your rights while receiving medical treatment and focusing on your recovery:
- Document everything. Keep detailed records of your injuries, recovery progress, and related expenses. Documentation can help you prove how a catastrophic injury has affected your life and how much compensation you are owed for your losses.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Contact an attorney at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. You should consult our attorneys immediately after a catastrophic injury so we can stand up for your rights and establish a robust legal claim on your behalf.
Call a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer at The Perecman Firm
If you suffer a catastrophic injury because of another person’s careless behavior, you can seek compensation for your losses through a catastrophic injury lawsuit. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., our talented NYC lawyers have secured more than half a billion dollars in compensation for our clients. We want to help you, too.
Contact us today to discuss your case in a free consultation session.