How to Apply for Disability Benefits in NY
Let our NYC Social Security Disability (SSD) lawyers assist you!
You are likely here because you or a loved one has suffered a total, long-term disability or illness that prevents them from working. If you need to apply for disability benefits, we strongly encourage you to do so with the assistance of an attorney who practices in Social Security Disability (SSD) Insurance or “SSDI.” The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., can walk you through the process so that you don’t get denied for improper application.
Contact us today at (212) 577-9325 for a free review of your disability case!
Before You Apply, See If You Qualify
The best thing you can do to improve your chances of benefit approval is to confirm that you qualify before you begin the application process. In order to qualify, you must:
- Have worked in a job or jobs covered by Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Have a medical condition that qualifies as a disability per Social Security’s definition
- Have a disability that will likely result in missing work for a year or more
Information You Will Need to Apply
The Social Security Administration will require various forms of information to confirm your identity, your occupation, and your disability. This required information can include:
- Social Security number
- Information about your doctors and other medical professionals who treated you after your injury or illness
- Information about the prescriptions you are currently taking
- Any medical records that you already have
- Any lab results that you already have
- A brief explanation of your place of work and the nature of your job duties
- Your most current W-2 or federal tax return form
- If you are applying on behalf of your spouse, then you will need to provide proof of marriage
The Social Security Administration has provided a helpful starter kit for individuals looking for more information on how to apply for disability benefits. This pamphlet provides answers to questions such as: What can I expect from the process? How long will the process take? How does the administration determine if I am disabled?
Contacting The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.
If you are applying for disability benefits, you don’t have to go through this often-confusing process alone. You can do so with help from our New York City Social Security Disability (SSD) lawyers! The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., is passionate about the workers of New York and helping them get the coverage they need after an injury or illness.
Get a free review of your case from our firm today to learn how we could help you!