We Are Passionate About the Workers of NYC
How Long Do I Have to Work to Qualify for Social Security Disability?
Vital Info from New York City Social Security Disability Attorneys
Below, The Perecman Firm provides our readers with the most common and important answers they'll need to file a social security disability claim.
In order to qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance or “SSDI”, you will have had to worked a certain number of years to earn enough credits to qualify. Qualifying for Social Security Disability is based on credits outlined by the Social Security Administration.
Qualifying for Benefits Under the Age of 24
If you become disabled and cannot work for a year or more and you are 24 years old or younger, usually the Social Security Administration determines that you must have worked for a year-and-a-half (six credits) out of the past three years before you became disabled.
Disability for Workers 24 to 30 Years Old
Disabilities that beset workers between the ages of 24 and 30 require credits for at least half of the time while that worker was 21 years old until they sustain or were diagnosed with their disability.
Years and Credits Required for Disabled Workers Over 31
Workers aged 31 and over need to have worked at least five years in order to qualify for disability benefits under the Social Security Administration. The credits required and corresponding years of work are outlined per age below.
- 31-42 = 20 credits, the equivalent of 5 years working
- 44 = 22 credits, the equivalent of 5.5 years working
- 46 = 24 credits, the equivalent of 6 years working
- 48 = 26 credits, the equivalent of 6.5 years working
- 50 = 28 credits, the equivalent of 7 years working
- 52 = 30 credits, the equivalent of 7.5 years working
- 54 = 32 credits, the equivalent of 8 years working
- 56 = 34 credits, the equivalent of 8.5 years working
- 58 = 36 credits, the equivalent of 9 years working
- 60 = 38 credits, the equivalent of 9.5 years working
- 62 and up = 40 credits, the equivalent of 10 years working
For more information on work and Social Security credits, visit the Social Security Administration’s pamphlet. Or, you can contact the NYC social security disability lawyers at The Perecman Firm for a free review of your case to learn if you have enough work credits to qualify for benefits. We provide free case evaluations!
Over Half a Billion Recovered
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C.'s team of NYC personal injury attorneys have recovered more than half a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements for their clients.See Our Results
New York Personal Injury Lawyers
Our experienced legal team has been advocating for the rights of injured workers and individuals since 1983.Meet Our Team
An Active Voice in the News & Media
The attorneys at the Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C have been featured in ABC, The New York Times, CNN, NBC, CBS, New York Post, and more!View News Articles