The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. Managing Attorney Steven Dorfman recently appeared on Westchester On the Level radio (WHYT) for a live interview about important steps to take after an accident. The live show aired on Thursday, September 12, 2019, from 10:30-11:00 am.
During his interview, Steven Dorfman follows up on a discussion about motor vehicles to remind listeners about the risks of auto accidents. As he tells Host Hezi Aris, the U.S. sees more than 6 million car accidents each year, and as well as hundreds of thousands of crash-related injuries and deaths.
With September being National Preparedness Month, Steven fields questions about important considerations involving auto accidents and shares his insight on what steps people should take after they’re involved in a crash. That includes the importance of:
- Seeking medical attention, even when victims may not necessarily feel pain immediately, or think they can tough it out.
- Documenting the accident to obtain evidence that can be used to support any claims;
- Calling the authorities who can both assist in any emergencies, and compile a police report that can be used in a potential injury case.
- Taking as many photos as possible, including photos of the accident scene from multiple angles, all vehicles involved and any property damage, license plates and registration, driver’s licenses and insurance information, any occupants of visible injuries, and other relevant information.
- For individuals involved in commercial vehicle accidents, taking photos of any dash / onboard cameras so it’s known they exist and any footage they capture can be obtained at a later time.
- Reporting the accident to the insurance company immediately, as any delays can create difficulties with insurers – particularly in regard to no-fault insurance benefits.
- Calling an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible who can assist in helping victims explore their legal rights and options, and take the appropriate steps in conducting the necessary investigations and building a strong case.
Steven Dorfman is the Managing Attorney at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., where he has helped recover millions in compensation for accident victims across New York City and the state of New York. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motor vehicle crash, contact us for a free consultation.