Whether you are an employee working on a construction site or you are the contractor, safety should be the top priority of everyone involved. There are several dangers present on construction sites and making sure you take the proper precautions is important. Construction site accidents are very serious and can cause catastrophic injuries to anyone involved. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., our New York City construction accident lawyers want to make sure workers understand how to stay safe and supervisors can keep their employees out of harm’s way.
We provide tips that both workers and supervisors can utilize to make sure the construction site is safe for all individuals to operate.
- Fire safety: It’s important to know what can cause fires and identify any combustible elements on the construction site. You should also have protocols in place to evacuate an area safely should a fire ignite.
- Check scaffolds: When working from higher areas—such as on scaffolds—you need to make sure everything is secure. This includes you, other workers, the scaffold itself, and any items on it. This prevents falls from high places as well as falling debris.
- Inspect and maintain equipment: It is important to make sure equipment is inspected and maintained to avoid any potential issues. There may be defects that can cause serious injuries if the machine doesn’t work correctly.
- Pay attention to other workers and pedestrians: Whether you’re operating a crane or forklift, or you’re removing debris from a high area, make sure you pay close attention to everything going on around you. There are so many elements on a construction site that even the smallest distraction can be disastrous.
- Make sure proper equipment is provided: Supervisors are supposed to make sure employees have the proper safety equipment necessary to work on a construction site. Without this equipment, an accident can put workers in danger of serious injuries.
Construction accidents are on the rise in New York City due to the constant improvements and new buildings in the area. This increases the potential for injury. Don’t let this happen to you or your employees. Make sure you prioritize safety.
If you or someone you know has suffered a serious injury on a construction accident, it is important to make sure you know your rights and options. Our team at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. can help you understand what type of legal action you can take and to which damages you may be entitled. In certain situations, you may be able to file a third party liability claim, but usually, construction accidents can fall under workers’ compensation benefits.