Being involved in a construction accident can be a traumatic experience. Given the nature of the work and the dangers on the work site, any injuries sustained can potentially lead to extensive pain and suffering. When initially involved in an accident, it can be difficult to keep things straight in your head. You may focus on the pain and how to make it end. It is only afterward that you realize what steps you need to take to claim compensation. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., we want you to be prepared. We list six steps that are important to take after a construction accident.
Steps to Take After an Accident
- Get medical attention – Construction accidents can be serious. It is important that you get the medical attention you need. This is not only necessary for your help, you can use doctor’s notes and recorded injuries in future compensation claims or appeals.
- Notify supervisors – Almost all New York employers are responsible for protecting their employers with workers’ compensation insurance. When an accident happens, your supervisor must be informed within 30 days of the accident, so that they can notify their insurance.
- Gather information and witnesses – If there were others at the time of the accident, make sure to obtain their contact information. If possible, take pictures of the accident as well. This information can help your case in the future.
- File a claim – You must file an Employee Claim Form with the Workers’ Compensation Board. You have two years from the time of your accident to file this claim.
- Retain Legal Representation – While not all cases go to trial, it is important to have experienced workers’ compensation attorneys review your case. They will prioritize your needs and fight on your behalf.
- File an appeal (if necessary) – If your compensation claim is denied, you have 30 days to file an appeal. It is beneficial to have a lawyer help you navigate the different levels of an appeal.
At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C., we are here to help you. If you were injured in a construction accident, our New York workers’ compensation attorneys are ready to fight on your behalf. Call (212) 577-9325 to schedule a free consultation today.