A 7 year old Brooklyn girl is now brain dead after choking on her lunch in her Williamsburg school on Wednesday of last week NBC New York.
Noelia-Lisa Echavarria left the lunchroom at P.S. 250, unable to breathe. Her family said she was a slow eater and that teachers were always rushing her to finish her food during lunchtime.
A school safety officer banged on the door of a private ambulance for help while it was stopped at a red light. The paramedic, Qwaise Reid, reported that the scene was very hectic as children and adults all stood around the girl who was not breathing, and was foaming at the mouth.
He stated he immediately cleared out the girl's mouth, put an oxygen mask on her, used a defibrillator and started CPR compressions.
Both Reid and Echavarria’s family felt that the school could have contacted 911 sooner and done more to help the little girl who is now on life support as a result, at NYU Langone Medical Center.
Reid stated no one was helping the girl when he first arrived on the scene. The family told reporters that the principal didn’t call to inform them of what happened and when they went to the school to demand answers, they were dismissed and told to go the hospital to find out.
"I wish they would tell me the answer to what happened to my baby," said Ana Iris Santiago, Echavarria’s mother.
Tuesday afternoon the Department of Education finally issued a statement:
"Our thoughts and prayers are with Noelia and her family and school community. Based on the information, we believe the principal and faculty responded swiftly to the emergency, notifying 911 and the student's family immediately. We continue to monitor this situation."
The family of Noelia-Lisa are still seeking answers and praying for a miracle. Our sincerest thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult and emotional time.