A truck rolled over and spilled 8,000 gallons of home heating oil at the intersection of Route 9 and Route 9H in Kinderhook, New York, reported the Times Union (9.12.13) The accident caused nearby businesses and homes to be evacuated.
According to the Times Union, the truck driver went through a roundabout too fast and rolled over. The truck’s driver suffered minor injuries in the accident.
Kinderhook is approximately 25 miles south of Albany
Causes of Truck Rollover Accidents in New York
Truck rollover accidents can occur for a number of reasons and may even be caused by a combination of two or more factors coinciding. Causes for truck accidents include
- Driver error. This can include fatigue, careless driving, dozing, sudden turns at high speeds, failing to adjust speed to curves, and distractions like texting while driving.
- Obstacle avoidance. An obstacle in the road a driver may be trying to avoid could be another vehicle, an animal that runs into the road, or an object such as a tree branch.
- Defective truck part or component. Parts that may be inadequately working, installed, maintained or repaired include brakes, tires, and steering
- Steering errors. Drivers can over-steer to the point of rolling over, not steer enough to stay in lane, and overcorrect.
- Loads. Drivers may fail to take account the weight, height or other factors of the load.
- Road conditions. This includes steep hills, soft road surfaces, and a sheet of ice or another slick surface on the road.
Truck accidents and workers’ compensation
After being involved in a truck accident, it is best to consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer. A number of different entities and individuals may be to blame for the crash. A personal injury lawyer can help establish who is responsible for injuries incurred.
A New York truck driver who is injured on the job may seek workers’ compensation, as well as additional compensation, by bringing a lawsuit against the third parties believed to be responsible for the injury.
Individuals, who lost a family member in a truck rollover accident, should contact the lawyers at The Perecman Firm to learn about the rights available to dependents of those killed. If the driver died, his or her dependents may be entitled to workers’ compensation death benefits.