NY crane accident attorneys address importance of safety guidelines
The high winds of Hurricane Sandy left a construction crane hanging off the top of a luxury high rise. When the crane partially collapsed, it’s boom dangled above the city for a number of days. The area around the crane was evacuated until it could be secured.
The New York Post reported that more than six months after the massive crane snapped, workers replaced the boom on May 11. Residents of two nearby apartment buildings were again evacuated because of the crane. This time the order was given as a precaution.
Common causes of construction crane accidents in New York
Each year, a number of workers are injured or killed in crane-related accidents in New York. Knowing why crane accidents occur may help prevent future ones.
Reasons for crane accidents include:
- Severe weather: Cranes can snap in high winds, especially if they are not positioned correctly before a storm. They can cause other dangers, as well. Earthquakes can pose risks, especially for a crane carrying a load.
- Load weight: If the maximum weight limit of the crane is exceeded, it will be in danger of either tipping, buckling, or the boom may collapse.
- Contact with energized power lines: Electrocution from contact with overhead electrical wires is a leading cause of crane-related accidents.
- Blocking: One of the main causes of a crane collapse is improper blocking. Blocking stabilizes and balances a load. Without this, a boom may not be able to withstand the movement of an unbalanced load and can collapse. A crane boom can also collapse if the load being picked up exceeds the crane’s load maximum weight.
- Improper crane maintenance and inspection: A number of cranes are not maintained properly nor inspected regularly to ensure safe operation.
- Insufficient employee training: Operators who do not have the skills and/or training in crane operation and safety procedures may get involved in crane accidents. Employers should make sure all operators are trained adequately and know how to handle emergency situations.
- Mechanical failure: Mechanical failure can occur when certain parts of the crane do not function as they should.
By law, strict safety guidelines must be followed when working with cranes on construction projects.
Contact a New York crane accident lawyer
For more than 30 years, the NY crane accident attorneys at The Perecman Firm have aggressively helped injured workers and/or their families obtain compensation following construction accidents in New York. Contact The Perecman Firm.