Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that the number of traffic fatalities in New York City has fallen to a record low, reported the New York Times (12/29/2011). “Congratulations to New York for finishing 2011 with the lowest number of traffic fatalities since 1910, the year that the city began keeping these records,” said New York auto accident lawyer David Perecman, founder of The Perecman Firm, one of New York’s auto accident law firms.
According to Bloomberg, there were 237 traffic deaths through Dec. 27, 2011. The previous record low was 258 traffic deaths in 2009, reported the New York Daily News (12/29/2011). Last year, there were 271 traffic fatalities. The Bloomberg Administration attributed the decrease in traffic fatalities to redesigned roadways and intersections and better enforcement by the NYPD, said the tabloid.
Several public-awareness campaigns created to educate drivers were also credited for the decrease in New York traffic fatalities, reported The New York Times. New York auto accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm understand the decrease in traffic fatalities was partially attributed to the police crackdown on drivers who speed, fail to wear seat belts, or talk or text on cell phones, according to Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
In 2011, the NYPD issued more than 1 million moving violations, including 164,000 for drivers not wearing a seat belt; 161,000 for people using cell phone while driving; 75,000 for speeding; and 8,500 for drunken driving, reported the New York Daily News. Stats were not released to show the number of nonfatal crashes. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in an auto accident in New York, please contact the New York auto accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm.